Use this Safety Manager job description to advertise your vacancies and find qualified candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
What is a Safety Manager?
A Safety Manager is a professional who ensures the compliance of health and safety laws in the workplace. They develop and execute health and safety plans, enforce policies, assess risks, and promote a culture of safety. Their role is to create a safe work environment and minimize hazards to protect employees from occupational risks.
What does a Safety Manager do?
A Safety Manager is responsible for developing and implementing health and safety plans, enforcing policies, and evaluating practices and facilities to ensure compliance with legal guidelines. They conduct training sessions, monitor compliance, investigate accidents, and provide recommendations for improvement. They also communicate guidelines to employees, report on health and safety issues, and develop relevant policies to maintain a safe workplace. Their focus is on promoting occupational health and safety and minimizing risks for employees.
Safety Manager responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing health and safety plans in the workplace according to legal guidelines
- Preparing and enforcing policies to establish a culture of health and safety
- Evaluating practices, procedures and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the law
We are looking for a reliable Safety Manager to ensure everyone in the company complies with health and safety laws. You will also be responsible for establishing policies that will create and maintain a safe workplace.
As a safety manager you must have excellent attention to detail to identify hazards. You will also be able to discover opportunities for improving conditions and execute various safety programs. The ability to communicate guidelines to a multidisciplinary workforce is essential.
The goal is to ensure the workplace meets all legal expectations and actively supports occupational health and safety.
- Develop and execute health and safety plans in the workplace according to legal guidelines
- Prepare and enforce policies to establish a culture of health and safety
- Evaluate practices, procedures and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the law
- Conduct training and presentations for health and safety matters and accident prevention
- Monitor compliance to policies and laws by inspecting employees and operations
- Inspect equipment and machinery to observe possible unsafe conditions
- Investigate accidents or incidents to discover causes and handle worker’s compensation claims
- Recommend solutions to issues, improvement opportunities or new prevention measures
- Report on health and safety awareness, issues and statistics
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as safety manager
- Deep understanding of legal health and safety guidelines
- Ability in producing reports and developing relevant policies
- Good knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment
- Excellent organizational and motivational skills
- Outstanding attention to detail and observation ability
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal abilities
- BSc/BA in safety management or relevant field is preferred
- Valid qualification in occupational health and safety
Frequently asked questions
- What does a safety manager do?
- A safety manager develops and implements health and safety plans, enforces policies, conducts risk assessments, provides training, investigates accidents, and ensures compliance with legal guidelines to create a safe work environment.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a safety manager?The duties of a safety manager include developing safety plans, enforcing policies, conducting risk assessments, providing training, investigating accidents, ensuring legal compliance, and promoting a culture of safety in the workplace.
- The duties of a safety manager include developing safety plans, enforcing policies, conducting risk assessments, providing training, investigating accidents, ensuring legal compliance, and promoting a culture of safety in the workplace.
- What makes a good safety manager?
- A good safety manager possesses excellent knowledge of health and safety guidelines, attention to detail, strong organizational and motivational skills, exceptional communication and interpersonal abilities, and the ability to analyze data and assess risks effectively.
- Who does a safety manager work with?
- A safety manager works with employees at all levels of the organization, including management, supervisors, and workers, to ensure compliance with health and safety laws and to promote a safe work environment.
- What skills should a safety manager have?
- A safety manager should have proven experience in safety management, deep understanding of health and safety guidelines, skills in data analysis and risk assessment, organizational and motivational skills, attention to detail, and exceptional communication and interpersonal abilities.