Quality Engineer job description
A Quality Engineer is a professional who monitors and tests the quality of products in industries such as manufacturing and automotive. They ensure compliance with standards, identify issues, recommend solutions, and create quality documentation. Skills include knowledge of ISO standards, problem-solving, attention to detail, and a degree in engineering.
Use this Quality Engineer job description template to attract candidates for quality control roles in manufacturing. For software quality assurance jobs, check our Quality Assurance Engineer job description.
What is a Quality Engineer?
Manufacturing Quality Engineers work in industries such as automobile, transportation, textile and industrial equipment, and their role is to monitor, test and report on the quality of products. Depending on the position, they might inspect raw materials, components, mechanical systems or final products.
What does a Quality Engineer do?
Quality Engineer responsibilities vary across industries and companies, but the main tasks include testing systems and procedures to ensure they meet technical standards and creating quality and safety documentation. QA Engineers are responsible for identifying technical issues and getting to the root of the problem, too. They also proactively recommend solutions that’ll improve product durability and overall performance.
Quality Engineer duties include:
- Auditing systems based on ISO 9001:2015 requirements
- Determining quality metrics for all manufacturing procedures
- Monitoring the entire production cycle and reporting on malfunctions
What skills does a Quality Engineer need?
Quality Engineers usually hold a degree in mechanical or industrial engineering. Candidates for managerial roles might also hold a masters degree in quality assurance, but this is not a must-have, as the quality engineer role is often learned best on the job. No matter the seniority level, QA Engineers should be good team players because they have to collaborate with various departments (e.g. production, engineering and support). Other essential quality engineer skills include problem-solving abilities and attention to detail.
The following sample describes the QA Engineer job duties and requirements. Feel free to tweak based on your needs. You can also use the same template for a Quality Control Engineer job description.
We’re currently seeking a highly skilled and experienced Quality Engineer to join our team.
In this role, you will be responsible for ensuring the safety and quality of our products and procedures through rigorous inspections, implementation of quality control measures, and identification of areas for improvement.
You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to address quality issues, drive continuous improvement, and contribute to building high-quality products that exceed customer expectations.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong background in engineering or quality assurance, exceptional attention to detail, and a proactive mindset.
If you are passionate about quality and delivering excellence, we encourage you to apply and become a valued member of our team.
- Set detailed guidelines on what needs to be checked and what the quality standards are
- Update our Quality Management System (QMS) with incidents, fixes and improvements
- Audit our systems based on ISO 9001:2015 requirements
- Determine quality metrics for all manufacturing procedures
- Monitor the entire production cycle and perform regular tests to identify potential malfunctions as early as possible
- Inspect product materials and electrical systems for defects and durability
- Identify the root of technical issues and recommend fixes
- Prepare reports on malfunctions and corrective actions (e.g. number of defective raw materials per order)
- Review current blueprints and quality documentation
- Set and track quality assurance goals (e.g. reduce average turnaround time for quality checks by 20%)
- Coordinate with external quality assurance auditors and technicians to ensure legal compliance
- Work with internal teams to increase customer satisfaction by improving the quality of the products
Requirements and skills
- Previous work experience as a Quality Engineer or similar role
- Hands-on experience with Quality Management Systems (QMS) and testing methodologies
- In-depth understanding of technical documentation
- Familiarity with statistical analysis
- Great attention to detail and problem-solving abilities
- Team spirit
- Good analytical skills
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or relevant field
- Additional certification in Quality Assurance is a plus
- Manager of Quality Assurance job description
- Quality Manager job description
- Quality Inspector job description
- Production Manager job description
Frequently asked questions
What does a Quality Engineer do?
A Quality Engineer monitors and tests product quality, ensures compliance with standards, identifies issues, and recommends solutions.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Quality Engineer?
Duties include auditing systems, determining quality metrics, monitoring production, and reporting on malfunctions.
What makes a good Quality Engineer?
A good Quality Engineer possesses problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, knowledge of quality management systems, and the ability to work well in a team.
Who does a Quality Engineer work with?
A Quality Engineer works with various departments such as production, engineering, and support to ensure quality standards are met.
What skills should a Quality Engineer have?
Skills include knowledge of quality management systems, testing methodologies, technical documentation, statistical analysis, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and good analytical skills.
Hiring Quality Engineer job description
Post this Quality Engineer job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.