QA Engineer job description
A QA Engineer is a professional who finds and fixes bugs in a product or program before its launch, collaborating with developers on fixes to those problems when necessary. They're needed across many industries, including automotive, medical devices and food/beverage.
This QA Engineer job description template is optimized for posting a software quality assurance job description on online job boards. Easily customize this depending on your company's quality assurance needs.
QA Engineer responsibilities include:
- Reviewing quality specifications and technical design documents to provide timely and meaningful feedback
- Creating detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test cases
- Estimating, prioritizing, planning and coordinating quality testing activities
We are looking for a Quality Assurance (QA) engineer to develop and execute exploratory and automated tests to ensure product quality.
QA engineer responsibilities include designing and implementing tests, debugging and defining corrective actions. You will also review system requirements and track quality assurance metrics (e.g. defect densities and open defect counts.)
The QA technician role plays an important part in our company’s product development process. Our ideal candidate will be responsible for conducting tests before product launches to ensure software runs smoothly and meets client needs, while being cost-effective. If you hold an engineering background and enjoy providing end-to-end solutions to software quality problems, we’d like to meet you.
Ultimately, you should monitor all stages of software development to identify and resolve system malfunctions to meet quality standards.
- Review requirements, specifications and technical design documents to provide timely and meaningful feedback
- Create detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test cases
- Estimate, prioritize, plan and coordinate testing activities
- Design, develop and execute automation scripts using open source tools
- Identify, record, document thoroughly and track bugs
- Perform thorough regression testing when bugs are resolved
- Develop and apply testing processes for new and existing products to meet client needs
- Liaise with internal teams (e.g. developers and product managers) to identify system requirements
- Monitor debugging process results
- Investigate the causes of non-conforming software and train users to implement solutions
- Track quality assurance metrics, like defect densities and open defect counts
- Stay up-to-date with new testing tools and test strategies
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience in software development
- Proven work experience in software quality assurance
- Strong knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools and processes
- Experience in writing clear, concise and comprehensive test plans and test cases
- Hands-on experience with both white box and black box testing
- Hands-on experience with automated testing tools
- Solid knowledge of SQL and scripting
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
- Experience with performance and/or security testing is a plus
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject
Frequently asked questions
What does a Quality Assurance Engineer do?
A QA engineer creates tests that identify issues with software before a product launch. These tests entail other tasks such as developing and running new tests and reporting their results to stakeholders, who will collaborate to fix program bugs or problems.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Quality Assurance Engineer?
The primary responsibility of the QA Engineer is to prevent defects. In addition, they are responsible for identifying and eliminating any mistakes in code before its release to customers. Such errors could result from various issues such as insufficient data input or an improperly designed interface element.
What makes a Good Quality Assurance Engineer?
A sound QA Engineer is highly organized and can adjust priorities, having great attention to detail. They can compromise between the perfect and a good-enough result while being flexible enough for different products or processes variation.
Who does a Quality Assurance Engineer work with?
A Quality Assurance Engineer may work alongside a Design Engineer, who may assist to fix products and programs.
Hiring QA Engineer job description
Post this QA Engineer job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.