What is a design engineer?
A design engineer creates and implements product processes and designs using computer-aided design (CAD) software.
What does a design engineer do?
Design engineers research opportunities for new products and create prototypes. They design manufacturing processes and products with various criteria in mind, including cost-effectiveness, user experience and environmental standards. The role of a design engineer is also to analyze data from tests on prototypes and craft progress reports.
Design engineer responsibilities include:
- Designing manufacturing processes and products
- Assessing product usability and safety
- Writing reports and presenting results to managers and customers
What skills are required for a design engineer?
Apart from a degree in Mechanical Engineering and an analytical mind, a competent design engineer also has important soft skills. For instance, they have strong attention to detail and the ability to deliver projects effectively and on time.
We are looking for an experienced Design Engineer to join our innovative, fast-growing company.
You’ll be a member of our brilliant engineering team, contributing to the design of new cutting-edge products. To be successful in this position, you should have hands-on experience using CAD software, with strong attention to detail and a creative flair. It’s also important that you have rock-solid project management skills to meet the daily demands of the role.
If you fit this description and you are enthusiastic about our company and its products, let’s meet.
- Design new engineering products and processes
- Craft models and drawings of products using CAD
- Analyze prototype data and retest if needed
- Research new product ideas and methods
- Improve existing products and processes
- Ensure compliance with the industry’s safety standards
- Maintain accurate records
- Ensure products are user- and environment-friendly
- Write detailed reports
- Find creative design solutions to problems
- Present prototypes and designs to customers and project managers
- Previous experience as a Design Engineer or a similar role
- Proven experience using CAD software; knowledge of SolidWorks is a plus
- Good understanding of safety standards and environmental impact of a design
- Ability to present in front of stakeholders and managers
- Great computational and spatial ability
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Attention to detail
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a similar field
Similar job titles include: