Product Designer responsibilities include:
- Identifying opportunities for new products
- Analyzing how a new product ties in with market needs and consumer preferences
- Setting design requirements based on briefs from internal teams and external partners
We are looking for a Product Designer to work on various products we develop for our customers.
Product Designer responsibilities include defining product specifications, creating digital or print drawings and designing fully-functional products. To be successful in this role, you should have an eye for color and shape and be able to translate requirements into practical product features.
Ultimately, you will help us build products that are easy to use and visually appealing to our potential customers.
- Identify opportunities for new products
- Analyze how a new product ties in with market needs and consumer preferences
- Set design requirements based on briefs from internal teams and external partners
- Research materials and techniques
- Sketch drafts on paper or digitally (for example, using CAD)
- Use 3D modeling software to design products and components
- Produce prototypes and test functionality
- Improve the design of existing products
- Gather feedback from product users
Requirements and skills
- Work experience as a Product Designer or similar role
- Experience in industrial design
- Creativity in mixing up colors, shapes and techniques
- Hands-on experience with computer-aided design (CAD) tools
- Good knowledge of 3D modeling software
- Experience with design programs (like Illustrator and Sketch)
- Time-management skills
- BSc/MSc in Product Design, Manufacturing Design Engineering or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
What does a Product Designer do?
A Product Designer takes input from both design and business perspectives to create an enjoyable, intuitive user experience. They can be responsible for everything consumers see when using their device or they might work behind the scenes ensuring information architecture flows well.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Product Designer?
Product Designers are responsible for coming up with new product designs that meet the needs and wants of consumers. They will have many duties, such as creating design concepts, drawing ideas to determine which one is best suited for the product, and communicating their plans effectively so engineers can execute them.
What makes a good Product Designer?
A good Product Designer must possess a sharp business mind and strong analytical skills to study user feedback to make product improvements. They must also have an aesthetic eye and great communication skills to translate consumers’ wants and needs into designs.
Who does a Product Designer work with?
Typically, a Product Designer will work with a team of other designers, such as a Design Engineer, to ensure their products are a success.