This Public Relations Specialist job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
What is a Public Relations Specialist?
A Public Relations Specialist is a professional who is responsible for shaping and protecting the corporate image of a company. They develop and execute PR strategies, manage media relations, write PR copy, plan events, and analyze public opinion to maintain positive public awareness of the company and its brand.
What does a Public Relations Specialist do?
A Public Relations Specialist formulates PR plans and strategies, enhances the company’s voice and presence through online and offline channels, manages media relations and requests, writes press releases and other PR copy, plans and supervises events, supports promotional plans, and facilitates dispute resolution with the public or external vendors. They also lead survey initiatives and analyze public opinion to guide PR efforts.
Public Relations Specialist responsibilities include:
- Formulating PR plans and strategies
- Enhancing the company’s voice and presence through online and offline channels
- Managing media relations and requests
We are looking for a competent Public Relations (PR) Specialist to shape and protect our corporate image in ways that promote our business, values and mission. You’ll be responsible for maintaining media relations and collaborating with marketing teams in promotional activities.
We expect to see candidates who can impress us with their copywriting and presentation skills. We’ll be on the lookout for experience in corporate communications, project management and social media. Throw a lot of enthusiasm and a pleasant personality into the mix and you’ll be our ideal candidate.
The goal is to maintain positive public awareness of the company and its brand.
- Formulate PR plans and strategies
- Enhance the company’s voice and presence through online and offline channels
- Manage media relations and requests
- Write press releases, speeches and other PR copy
- Plan and supervise events, fairs, conferences etc.
- Support the implementation of promotional plans
- Present solutions in times of PR crisis
- Facilitate the resolution of disputes with the public or external vendors
- Lead survey initiatives and analyze public opinion
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as public relations specialist or similar position
- Experience in project management and execution of PR campaigns and/or initiatives
- Experience in copywriting and editing
- Working knowledge of MS Office; photo and video-editing software is an asset
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook etc.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Aptitude in presentation and public speaking
- Proficiency in English
- A creative yet practical mind
- BSc/BA in PR, communications, journalism or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Public Relations Specialist do?
- A Public Relations Specialist develops and executes PR strategies, manages media relations, writes PR copy, plans events, and analyzes public opinion to shape and protect a company's corporate image and maintain positive public awareness.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Public Relations Specialist?
- The duties of a Public Relations Specialist include formulating PR plans, enhancing the company's voice and presence, managing media relations, writing press releases, planning events, supporting promotional plans, and resolving disputes with the public or external vendors.
- What makes a good Public Relations Specialist?
- A good Public Relations Specialist has excellent communication skills, copywriting abilities, and a creative yet practical mind. They should be skilled in project management, have experience in PR campaigns, and be adept at handling PR crises.
- Who does a Public Relations Specialist work with?
- A Public Relations Specialist works closely with marketing teams, media professionals, journalists, event planners, and internal stakeholders to collaborate on promotional activities, manage media relations, and shape the company's image.
- What skills should a Public Relations Specialist have?
- A Public Relations Specialist should have strong oral and written communication skills, proficiency in copywriting and editing, knowledge of social media platforms, proficiency in MS Office, aptitude in presentation and public speaking, and a degree or background in PR, communications, journalism, or a related field.