Public Relations Manager Interview Questions
Keep in mind that the role of Public Relations Manager differs from company to company. You’ll want to tailor your questions based on whether you’re hiring a PR Manager for an in-house team or for an agency. Your team may have specific needs as well. For example, you may want to hire an industry veteran who has built strong relationships with the media through the years. Or, you may want to hire an ambitious career changer with relevant experience who has a fresh perspective and can develop both your team and key relationships on the job.
This role requires creativity, resourcefulness, and strong communication skills. In addition to the interview, take a close look at your candidates’ portfolios. To evaluate written communication skills, request a writing sample. To evaluate verbal communication skills, have them talk you through the process of creating a recent PR campaign.
The goal is to start purposeful, open-ended conversations with candidates that help you to understand how much practical experience they have in this profession. Your most promising candidates will have done their homework on your company. They’ll be sure to mention campaigns, media outlets, and affiliate networks that are aligned with your brand and strategy. They’ll ask prepared and spontaneous questions about your work, and may even offer suggestions for improvement.
- Which PR firms do you admire and why?
- Which media outlets do you follow?
- Talk about the difference between PR and advertising.
- How do you choose angles for a story pitch?
- What media placements are you most proud of?
- Describe some affiliate networks you’ve collaborated with and why you chose them.
- How do you integrate social media with PR?
- How does PR support content marketing?
- How would you present the results of your work?
- What would you consider to be your most creative or effective campaign?
- What would you do if a client or manager disagreed with your PR strategy?
- How would you define thought leadership?
- Describe a time you had to manage negative media attention.
- Describe a time your PR communications were misunderstood by your target audience. How did you handle it?
- How have you worked with a team to handle a PR crisis?
- Who are the current members of your team? What are their respective roles?
- Describe a time you trained or mentored a colleague.
- What do you know about our products/firm? Why do you want to work here?
- What’s interesting about our current PR work? What would you improve?