This Paramedic job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Paramedic responsibilities include:
- Operating ambulance equipment and responding to radio transmissions
- Leading and coordinating the team responding to an emergency
- Evaluating the patient’s condition on the scene and performing preliminary diagnosis
We are looking for a trained paramedic to be part of our team of healthcare professionals attending primarily out-of-hospital medical incidents. The job isn’t simple but it is very rewarding.
As an employee dealing mostly with emergencies you must be committed and focused. To be effective in the job, the ideal candidate must be very competent and knowledgeable as well as self-motivated and compassionate.
The goal is simply to contribute the best you can to help people in need and save lives.
- Operate ambulance equipment and respond to radio transmissions
- Lead and coordinate the team responding to an emergency
- Evaluate the patient’s condition on the scene and perform preliminary diagnosis
- Attend to injuries or sudden illnesses by applying a variety of pre-hospital simple and advanced treatments (first aid, CPR, administering injections and oxygen etc.) or surgical procedures
- Use tech equipment and tools to stabilize patients or provide immediate treatment
- Monitor patient’s condition en route to the hospital
- Collaborate with interested parties (police, firefighting unit, doctors etc.)
- Write and submit concrete and accurate reports on incidents
- Adhere to established medical protocols and procedures as well as legal guidelines and health and safety standards
- Keep abreast with new treatment and medical procedures through continuous training
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a paramedic
- Knowledge of medical procedures, terminology and medications
- Ability to stay calm and make the right decisions in adverse conditions
- Adaptable with a great deal of stamina
- Excellent working knowledge of medical equipment and devices
- Integrity and compassion towards human pain
- Valid driver’s license
- Certified CPR Instructor
- High school diploma; Licensed Paramedic is a must
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Paramedic do?
- Paramedics are often first responders on the scene of many emergencies. Paramedics care for sick or injured people to ensure they're safe until medical professionals get there.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Paramedic?
- Paramedics are trained to provide emergency medical assistance, including CPR and wound bandaging. They also assess patients' conditions and determine the course of treatment for them based on the accessible information at that moment.
- What makes a Good Paramedic?
- Communication skills are an essential part of being a Paramedic. Patients, family members and even bystanders may let their emotions get in the way when doing their job. In turn, good communication helps keep everyone calm, and allows the patient to be assessed and treated.
- Who does a Paramedic work with?
- Paramedics work with healthcare professionals, such as Nurses, in various capacities. They may provide medical care and respond to emergencies or callouts from nearby hospitals that require their expertise.