This Paramedic interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Paramedic Interview Questions
Some basic qualifications for Paramedic candidates include EMT certification, completion of a paramedic training course, at least six months of experience working as an EMT, and passing the NREMT (National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians) exam.
There are different types of paramedics, such as EMTs, flight medics, and firefighter medics. For best results, it’s important to tailor questions to the exact working environment. If the questions below don’t cover a skill that’s critical for the role, be sure to add some questions of your own.
The best interview questions for this type of position are open-ended and situational. Use these questions to evaluate your candidates’ paramedicine experience. Great paramedics can stay calm under pressure and go the extra mile to ensure the wellbeing of their patients. Questions such as “Describe a time you acted professionally, despite your personal feelings” will help you see how they cope with the stress of the job.
Operational and Situational questions
- Why did you decide to be a paramedic?
- Describe the most challenging call you ever received as a paramedic.
- How would you handle a multi-agency call?
- What have you recently done to improve or update your skills as a paramedic?
- What kinds of environments have you worked in as a paramedic?
- How would you remove a heavy patient from a difficult or dangerous situation?
- In as much detail as possible, describe the process of administering morphine through an IV. What would you do differently if the patient was a child?
- In as much detail as possible, describe the process for treating broken bones.
- What are some ways to treat drug overdose?
- What are some ways to treat burns?
- How would you treat a hypothermic patient?
- How would you handle an epileptic seizure?
- As a paramedic, what kinds of life support medication do you usually have with you?
- Have you ever responded to a crime scene as a paramedic? What did you do?
- Describe a time you had to act professionally, despite your personal feelings.
- Describe a time you did the right thing, even though it was more difficult for you.
- This job can be stressful. What do you do to stay calm?