Find the best caregiver interview questions to ask to find the most suitable candidate. Adjust them to address your own requirements.
Caregiver Interview Questions
Caregivers can work independently or in clinics, healthcare homes and other agencies. They care for the ill, elderly or disabled, frequently at the patient’s home. If they’re competent and enthusiastic, they quickly become irreplaceable for patients and their families.
Formal education isn’t necessary for caregivers, since most receive on-the-job training. License is sometimes mandatory so make sure you’re aware of state requirements. Depending on the position, you can check years of experience or specific skills like emergency response during an initial phone interview. Don’t neglect to ask for references from experienced candidates.
Excellent social skills and a pleasant personality are essential for caregivers. They should be self-motivated, compassionate, patient and reliable. Questions about their availability and means of transportation are important as the final part of the interview. The best candidates will ask questions about your clients and how you assign them. They’ll also be honest about what type of care they’re able (or willing) to provide.
Operational and Situational questions
- As part of this job, you’ll have to do [state tasks]. How comfortable are you with that?
- If you are working with a client with alzheimer’s, what steps would you take to ensure their well-being?
- Imagine a client with dementia accuses you of something you didn’t do. How do you handle it?
- Why do you want to be a caregiver?
- What do you find most rewarding about this job?
- What were your responsibilities with your latest client?
- What types of impairments/people have you previously worked with?
- Do you know how to cook according to special health requirements?
- Are you able to perform light housekeeping duties (laundry, cleaning etc.)?
- Can you perform CPR?
- What personal care/hygiene tasks are needed for an elderly client? Are you comfortable doing them?
- Are you available for work nights/weekends/etc.?
- Have you ever had to provide first aid to a client? What happened?
- Recall a time a client tried your patience. What did you do?
- Describe a time you offered emotional support to a client. What effect did it have?
- Tell me about a mistake you made while caring for a client
- Do you become personally involved when your client suffers?
- Source qualified caregivers with our Boolean search cheat sheets.
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial