Office Administrator Interview Questions
Office Administrators, also known as office assistants or administrative assistants, are found in the administrative teams of all types of companies. Their primary role is to assist the Office Manager in ensuring that employees have the support they need to do their work. They’re typically junior employees who are gifted communicators and efficient multitaskers. Your best candidates will also possess a strong work ethic and a “no job is too small” attitude.
Depending on your company and resources, you might hire someone with a few years of relevant administrator experience, or train a motivated candidate who is new to the position. Use the following interview questions to get a sense of how much experience your candidates have. If there is a specific skill that you need that is not covered in these questions, such as coordinating travel, feel free to add a few questions of your own.
The purpose of these questions is to encourage your Office administrator candidates and put the link on Office administrator candidates to speak at length about any experience that might be relevant to the job. In addition, soft skills are should be able to stay neutral during conflicts and help maintain a positive work environment.
Operational and Situational questions
- Which departments did you support at your current/previous job? How did you support them?
- If you report to multiple people, how do you prioritize your projects?
- What were the most common administrative tasks you executed at your previous job?
- Recall a time you had to consult your supervisor for advice or support.
- What software programs do you use on a daily basis?
- What tools do you use to stay organized?
- Provide examples of spreadsheets you’ve had to create in Excel.
- How would you rate your skills on preparing presentations?
- How did your current/previous team handle expense reports?
- Describe your experience with calendar management.
- Recall a time you worked with a team to complete a project under a tight deadline.
- Recall a time you had to communicate with a client or senior manager on behalf of your boss.
- In what ways have you contributed to improving efficiency at work?
- Who would you consider your most challenging customer? (Internal or external)
- Recall a time you had to resolve a problem with a difficult colleague. How do you handle it?
- How important is it to “manage up”?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial