News Producer responsibilities include:
- Gathering information, stories and pieces from team members throughout the day.
- Collaborating with news director to select and prioritize content
- Adding stories and elements that will make the broadcast more attractive
We are looking for an experienced news producer to manage newscasts from start to finish, overseeing both editorial content of the news and how that news is produced and presented to the public.
As a news producer, you will collaborate with news director, reporters and anchors and will supervise the overall content and flow of news distribution.
Ultimately, you should be able to ensure newscasts are executed cleanly on air, are relevant to current events and meet audience preferences.
- Gather information, stories and pieces from team members throughout the day.
- Collaborate with news director to select and prioritize content
- Add stories and elements that will make the broadcast more attractive
- Select footage and sound bites to include in broadcast to ensure consistency
- Liaise with the production team to keep technical standards high
- Communicate with the studio crew and anchors while on-air
- Ensure broadcast is within time limits
- Produce breaking news reports
- Coordinate with creative department to develop promotion strategies for upcoming newscasts
- Perform research on local, national and international affairs to stay updated with current events
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a news producer
- Solid experience with digital technology
- In-depth understanding of the production process
- Familiarity with camera operation, sound systems and music editing
- Ability to proofread and edit pieces
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Communication skills
- Ability to perform efficiently under pressure
- BSc degree in journalism, mass communications or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
What does a News Producer do?
News Producers are in charge of distributing the curated news stories and pieces of content. They ensure newscasts are up-to-date and as accurate as possible. They ensure that newscasts meet all desired standards and preferences while being relevant enough for audiences.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a News Producer?
News Producers ensure that newscasts are executed cleanly on air and meet audience preferences by working with anchors during live broadcasting or recording pre-produced content. They focus most efforts on ensuring stories and topics are relevant and engaging and can be understood by various demographics.
What makes a Good News Producer?
News Producers are required to be well-versed in journalism and media. They need to be able to work in teams, collaborating with various positions to ensure a successful and timely production. Knowledge concerning technology is also essential, as producers work with multiple devices from microphones to teleprompters.
Who does a News Producer work with?
A News Producer manages the production of daily newscasts, collaborating with Journalists to curate topical and objectively engaging stories to be reported on during a live or pre-recorded segment.