Use this Movie Makeup Artist job description template to attract qualified candidates for film productions. You can easily customize this template for similar positions in television, theatre or events.
Movie Makeup Artist responsibilities include:
- Coordinating with the film director and the lighting technicians to get briefed on character descriptions and shooting conditions
- Sketching makeup looks for all actors
- Calculating the time required for makeup and informing actors and director in advance
We are looking for a Movie Makeup Artist to create unique looks for our cast during film shootings.
Movie Makeup Artist responsibilities include designing each character’s look, applying makeup products on actors’ faces and bodies and using prosthetics to create special makeup effects. If you’re detail-oriented and well-versed in complex makeup techniques, we’d like to meet you. Please include a photo portfolio of any previous works along with your application.
Ultimately, you will ensure our actors look flawless on screen with makeup that brings their characters to life.
- Coordinate with the film director and lighting technicians to get briefed on character descriptions and shooting conditions
- Sketch makeup looks for all actors, based on character descriptions
- Calculate the time required for makeup and inform actors and director in advance
- Apply long-lasting and waterproof cosmetics on actors’ faces and bodies
- Create special makeup effects using prosthetics and latex masks
- Coordinate with costume designers and hairstylists to create cohesive looks
- Inform the production team about tools and products needed
- Ensure makeup style is consistent during the entire shooting of the film
- Cover scars and tattoos, as needed
- Help actors remove makeup and prosthetics
- Store makeup products and tools safely
- Proven work experience as a Makeup Artist in film productions or TV shows
- Portfolio with some work samples
- Knowledge of a wide range of professional cosmetic lines
- Experience with various makeup styles, like period, contemporary, natural and horror
- Understanding of makeup requirements for film characters (e.g. sculpting techniques and FX prosthetics)
- Good time-management skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Flexibility to work long hours during shooting days
- Availability to travel, as needed
- Certification in Cosmetology, Makeup or relevant field