Use this Material Handler job description template to find reliable employees for your warehouse or production facilities. Feel free to modify this sample as needed. Relevant or more specific job titles include warehouse material handler, hospital material handler, product handler, package handler, loader, electrical material handler, glass handler, lead material handler, senior material handler and construction material handler.
Material Handler responsibilities include:
- Organizing and monitoring inventory
- Loading and unloading packages
- Documenting orders
We are looking for a Material Handler to help organize our storage areas and maintain our inventory. Your job will be to prepare and fulfil orders fast and correctly so we can provide high-quality customer service.
What is a material handler?
Material Handlers are integral warehouse workers. The main material handler duties revolve around placing incoming orders on shelves and picking merchandise according to specific customer requirements. As a Material Handler, you’ll also monitor inventory and communicate any shortages.
Key Material Handler skills
You should have great attention to detail to maintain accurate records. Some physical strength is required since you may often need to lift packages by hand. If you’re also reliable and fast on your feet, we’d like to meet you.
- Check incoming deliveries to make sure all ordered material meets quality standards
- Load and unload packages
- Organize stock in the most efficient way using forklifts, pallets, cranes etc.
- Receive and check incoming pick tickets
- Pull material to fulfil orders properly
- Wrap orders and place them on trucks for delivery
- Monitor inventory levels and suggest new orders when needed
- Document orders, materials and any stock movements
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a Material Handler, Warehouse Associate or similar position
- Familiarity with voice picking systems or RF devices is a plus
- Experience in using warehouse equipment (e.g. forklifts, pallet jacks)
- Strong communication skills
- Dexterity and attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job
- License to operate forklifts
- Availability to occasionally work overtime
- High school diploma
Download the material handler job description pdf.
Frequently asked questions
What does a Material Handler do?
A Material Handle locates materials and supplies in the warehouse and keeps an eye on production orders. The main material handler duties revolve around placing incoming orders on shelves and picking merchandise according to specific customer requirements.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Material Handler?
Material Handlers in warehouses and production facilities look for products on shelves and wrap or package them appropriately to ship off on delivery trucks. They may also take items from these transport vehicles to quickly fulfill customer orders.
What makes a good Material Handler?
A Material Handler ensures all employees follow protocol and finish their work on time and within budget. They set an example for others by doing what they need themselves, while delegating to others to ensure the efficiency of warehouse processes.
Who does a Material Handler work with?
A Material Handler works alongside other Material Handlers and different Warehouse Workers and Laborers.