Use this General Laborer job description template to find the best person for a role in a factory, warehouse, construction site or manufacturing company. Feel free to modify the requirements and responsibilities based on your needs. Some companies also use the titles “General Worker” and “Common Laborer” to describe this particular role.
What is a laborer?
General laborers are workers who take up various supporting tasks in warehouses, construction sites or other settings (e.g. factories). According to this general laborer definition, these workers may have an important assisting role in constructing highways, buildings or other structures, and they may also transport materials and equipment.
What does a laborer do?
General laborer duties vary depending on the setting they work in and their level of specialization. They usually work in construction where they help erect scaffolding, clean up sites and assist specialized workers such as painters and electricians. Occasionally, general laborers take up dangerous tasks like handling chemicals or removing lead from buildings. In these cases, you might be required to schedule training sessions on working with hazardous materials safely.
General Laborer job duties include:
- Cleaning up worksites from debris and machinery
- Helping erect scaffolding and ladders
- Handling and transporting materials (e.g. cement)
As for general laborer qualifications, there usually aren’t any educational requirements, but formal or informal apprenticeships via unions or contractors are common. Critical general laborer skills also include stamina, ability to follow instructions and commitment to safety.
If you find this general laborer job description useful, feel free to browse our construction job descriptions, production job descriptions and logistics job descriptions to find more useful templates to build out your job ads. For other sample templates, see our complete library of job descriptions, interview questions, company policies, email templates and more.
We are looking for a General Laborer to take up manual labor tasks and support operations in worksites.
One of the most important general laborer responsibilities is to collect trash, debris and other waste to keep the site clean and safe. You’ll also get to handle power tools and materials (such as saws and drills).
We’d like you to have include stamina and the ability to lift heavy loads. You should be able to concentrate on performing your tasks and commit to safety rules. If you fit this description, and you’re also interested in doing tough but important work, we’d like to meet you.
- Clean up worksites from hazardous or obsolete material
- Assist welders, carpenters, painters or other tradespeople on-site
- Handle and transport materials (e.g. cement) and equipment (e.g. drills and grinders)
- Use power tools and machinery (e.g. forklifts) when needed
- Follow instructions from supervisors to perform manual labor tasks (e.g. digging, stacking up goods)
- Put up warning signs (e.g. signposts, cones) for vehicles and passersby
- Help with setting up and transferring temporary structures (e.g. scaffolding)
- Report issues with equipment or unsafe conditions
Requirements and skills
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job (standing for long periods of time, lifting heavy loads of up to 40 pounds etc.)
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Familiarity with power tools and machinery is a plus
- Communication and teamwork skills
- Commitment to safety rules
- Apprenticeship or specialization is an asset, but not necessary
Frequently asked questions
- What does a General Laborer do?
- General Laborers are responsible for various manual tasks such as digging trenches, unloading building materials, and preparing job sites. They use hand tools like shovels or picks while operating machinery to help them with their work and assist crews with other necessary tasks.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a General Laborer?
- The duties of a General Labor vary depending on where they work and the other crew members assigned to their project. They assist with various tasks like loading tools, packing raw materials, and completing multiple construction sites or warehouse duties.
- What makes a good General Laborer?
- A good General Laborer must be physically fit since they must complete many jobs in factories, construction job sites, and warehouses. They also need to follow instructions and work independently.
- Who does a General Laborer work with?
- General Laborers typically work with a small group of other laborers to complete specific tasks. They may work with Construction Workers and other specialists on the job site depending on the project and needs of crew members.