This Receiving Clerk job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Receiving Clerk responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with procurement staff to list expected deliveries
- Receiving shipments and signing paperwork upon receipt
- Unloading packages from incoming trucks
We are looking for a responsible Receiving Clerk to receive, inspect and record shipments with raw material or products. You will be responsible for unloading packages and checking their contents to ensure they match the orders.
A receiving clerk must have a great eye for detail and basic math skills. They must also have adequate physical strength to unload shippings as well as the clerical skills to update records and follow up with suppliers.
The goal is to ensure we receive the correct packages and stock them appropriately.
- Collaborate with procurement staff to list expected deliveries
- Receive shipments and sign paperwork upon receipt
- Unload packages from incoming trucks
- Inspect contents to ensure they are undamaged
- Verify packages according to order and invoices (quantity, quality, price etc.)
- Contact supplier or shipper if a mistake is identified
- Assume responsibility for returning unsatisfactory shipments or receiving replacements
- Label deliveries and allocate them to their designated place
- Ensure invoices are signed and paid for satisfactory deliveries
- Maintain accurate records and assist in inventory control
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as receiving clerk or similar position
- Experience in operating forklifts
- Working knowledge of computer programs for entering data
- Solid understanding of health and safety regulations
- Basic math and recording abilities
- Excellent organizational skills
- Great communication and interpersonal abilities
- Keen eye for detail
- Good physical condition
- High school diploma
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Receiving Clerk do?
- A Receiving Clerk unpacks delivery shipments and compares packing lists to purchase orders, ensuring accurate deliveries. They also package products so that they can be shipped back out. A Receiving Clerk removes packing materials or stock items from their inventory.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Receiving Clerk?
- A Receiving Clerk is responsible for tracking and maintaining the inventory of any physical goods that come into or go out from your business. They ensure each item has an accurate count and check if anything is missing/damaged on arrival. Receiving Clerks must keep track of records to calculate stock amounts accurately.
- What makes a good Receiving Clerk?
- A successful Receiving Clerk should have a strong eye for detail, be good with numbers, and have the ability to multitask. They must also ensure efficient processes to promptly resolve any problems or discrepancies that arise during the shipping and receiving process.
- Who does a Receiving Clerk work with?
- A Receiving Clerk coordinates with an Order Picker to ensure items are correctly stocked and picked for packing. They report to the Stock Controller to ensure item inventories are correct and are replenished as needed.