Use this sample of Marketing Manager interview questions when hiring for senior-level positions in your marketing department. For more entry-level roles, check out Marketing Assistant interview questions.
Marketing Manager Interview Questions
Marketing Managers are responsible for designing and implementing strategies that promote the company and engage customers. They combine a solid knowledge of market research analysis with experience in the entire marketing funnel. Look for candidates with an expertise in organic and paid campaigns who can generate sales for your company.
During the hiring process, evaluate whether candidates understand your needs and are ready to manage all advertising challenges. Employees in marketing positions demonstrate enthusiasm and energy, along with a desire to apply innovative techniques. Opt for candidates who enjoy working in fast-paced environments and can juggle different tasks at once. Candidates who are interested in new marketing software and digital tools (like Moz and Hootsuite) should also stand out.
This role usually includes managing a team of Marketing Officers and/or Social Media Coordinators. Your ideal candidates should possess leadership skills to motivate their team to achieve goals. They should also be familiar with performance appraisal processes. Test candidates’ interviewing skills if the individual in this position will hire employees.
Operational and Situational questions
- What metrics would you use to understand why a campaign failed? How would you use those findings to inform your next campaign?
- What social media channels would you choose to increase our brand awareness?
- If senior executives (or the Marketing Director) don’t approve of your new campaign idea, how would you persuade them to get onboard?
- We are launching a new product in [X] months. What offline marketing activities would you pursue to boost the product’s success?
- Are you familiar with SEO best practices? What are some common SEO mistakes in digital content production?
- How do you structure a marketing budget?
- What marketing software (e.g. CRM) do you use? What other productivity tools do you use, and why?
- What is your experience with paid advertising, like PPC or sponsored content campaigns?
- Have you used performance appraisal methods? Which is the most effective and why?
- Who do you think is our biggest competitor? What differentiates our companies?
- Describe your experience with mobile marketing.
- Describe a time when you worked with a team to create a campaign on a tight budget. What did you have to prioritize?
- Describe a time when you gave constructive feedback to a team member. How do you deliver negative feedback?
- What’s the most effective campaign you’ve run so far? What made it successful? What was your role in the campaign?
- Describe an integrated marketing campaign you recently worked on. What channels did you use and why?
- Have you ever faced a conflict of interest on a team project? If so, how did you handle it?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial