Managing Editor job description
This Managing Editor job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Managing Editor responsibilities include:
- Planning and managing all daily operations
- Hiring, coaching and supervising personnel
- Collaborating with editor in chief to determine issues’ content and topics
We are looking for a skilled Managing Editor to oversee our company’s daily publishing operations. You will be reporting only to the editor in chief and supervise writers, editors and other staff.
A managing editor combines the innovativeness of a writer with the practical focus of an operations manager. You should be able to suggest ideas for stories and see them through to publication. We expect excellent organizational and leaderships skills as well as a unique problem-solving ability.
- Plan and manage all daily operations
- Hire, coach and supervise personnel
- Collaborate with editor in chief to determine issues’ content and topics
- Coordinate editorial publications and meetings
- Plan and approve assignments for writers and editors
- Control schedules and enforce deadlines (for writers, photographers, designers etc.)
- Oversee proofreading procedures and edit copy when necessary
- Assist in evaluating finalized copy for compliance with policies, style and tone
- Resolve issues as they arise
- Attend events on behalf of the company or editor in chief
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as managing editor or relevant role
- Exceptional ability in copywriting and editing
- Proficiency in English
- Working knowledge of online platforms like WordPress and SEO concepts
- Abilities in planning and coordinating people and operations
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and people abilities
- Reliability and efficiency
- Attention to detail
- BSc/BA in journalism or relevant field
Hiring Managing Editor job description
Post this Managing Editor job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.