Junior Accountant responsibilities include:
- Posting and processing journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded
- Updating accounts receivable and issue invoices
- Updating accounts payable and perform reconciliations
We are looking for an ambitious Junior Accountant to provide support to the financial department by managing daily accounting tasks. You will be part of a team of professionals working to maintain order and transparency for the company’s finances.
Preparing financial statements and reporting are a large part of the junior accountant’s day-to-day work. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in accounting principles and able to work comfortably with numbers and attention to detail.
The goal is to contribute to the overall efficient operation of the department and help the company be fully aware of its financial condition. This way it can make the right decisions and accomplish long term success.
- Post and process journal entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded
- Update accounts receivable and issue invoices
- Update accounts payable and perform reconciliations
- Assist in the processing of balance sheets, income statements and other financial statements according to legal and company accounting and financial guidelines
- Assist with reviewing of expenses, payroll records etc. as assigned
- Update financial data in databases to ensure that information will be accurate and immediately available when needed
- Prepare and submit weekly/monthly reports
- Assist senior accountants in the preparation of monthly/yearly closings
- Assist with other accounting projects
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a junior accountant
- Excellent organizing abilities
- Great attention to detail
- Good with numbers and figures and an analytical acumen
- Good understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles and practices
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office and familiarity with relevant computer software (e.g. SAP)
- Qualifications (ACA, ACCA or CIMA) is a plus but not required
- BSc/Ba in accounting, finance or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Junior Accountant do?
- The Junior Accountant makes sure all financial reports are accurate and timely. They analyze data from the previous month's transactions to prepare for future ones. They then apply accounting principles that have been learned throughout their degree process.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Junior Accountant?
- Junior Accountants are responsible for updating financial statements and sustaining accounts. They also administer monthly payroll and prepare reports that show the company’s income statement. Such statements include operational cost breakdowns like salaries and benefits expenses.
- What makes a Good Junior Accountant?
- A successful Junior Accountant has a firm grasp of primary and intermediate accounting principles. They should also have the ability to perform elementary mathematical operations. A Junior Accountant should also be detail-oriented and able to follow company policy. They should also be willing to meet deadlines regardless of the pressure they may be under.
- Who does a Junior Accountant work with?
- Junior Accountants work for and with Accountants. They assist them in completing general tasks like filing reports and producing journal entries. Although the Junior Accountant works under their counterpart, the jobs they encounter go hand in hand with successful accounting ventures.