This IT Technician job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
IT Technician responsibilities include:
- Setting up workstations with computers and necessary peripheral devices
- Checking computer hardware (HDD, mouses, keyboards etc.) to ensure functionality
- Installing and configuring appropriate software and functions according to specifications
We are looking for a qualified IT Technician that will install and maintain computer systems and networks aiming for the highest functionality. You will also “train” users of the systems to make appropriate and safe usage of the IT infrastructure.
A successful IT Technician must have a thorough knowledge of computer software and hardware and a variety of internet applications, networks and operating systems. The ideal candidate will also have great troubleshooting abilities and attention to detail.
The goal is to build and maintain updated and efficient computer systems and networks to optimize the role of technology on business sustainability.
- Set up workstations with computers and necessary peripheral devices (routers, printers etc.)
- Check computer hardware (HDD, mouses, keyboards etc.) to ensure functionality
- Install and configure appropriate software and functions according to specifications
- Develop and maintain local networks in ways that optimize performance
- Ensure security and privacy of networks and computer systems
- Provide orientation and guidance to users on how to operate new software and computer equipment
- Organize and schedule upgrades and maintenance without deterring others from completing their work
- Perform troubleshooting to diagnose and resolve problems (repair or replace parts, debugging etc.)
- Maintain records/logs of repairs and fixes and maintenance schedule
- Identify computer or network equipment shortages and place orders
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as IT Technician or relevant position
- Excellent diagnostic and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication ability
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills
- In depth understanding of diverse computer systems and networks
- Good knowledge of internet security and data privacy principles
- Degree in Computer Science, engineering or relevant field
- Certification as IT Technician will be an advantage (e.g. CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified IT Professional)
Frequently asked questions
What does an IT Technician do?
An IT Technician provides computer or network support for an organization, either employees, customers or both. They assist users with installation, troubleshooting and diagnosing possible hardware and software issues.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an IT Technician?
The responsibilities of an IT Technician are to diagnose, repair, troubleshoot and maintain computer and software systems for companies. Their duties may include repairing or replacing damaged hardware, performing tests on new hardware or software, installing new equipment, creating CRM tickets and logging its resolution.
What makes a good IT Technician?
A good IT technician should have excellent self-discipline and flexibility, especially if the company has adopted a remote culture. In addition, strong problem-solving and communication skills are necessary as troubleshooting may be necessary using remote software.
Who does an IT Technician work with?
An IT Technician frequently works with any user within an organization. It can be employees who are at their desks that need assistance with their computers or phones and remote employees. They report to the IT Manager or Office Manager, depending on the size and structure of the organization.