Guidance Counselor responsibilities include:
- Developing and implement an all-encompassing educational and counseling plan
- Fostering equal opportunity practices and encourage students’ association
- Paying attention to cultural or societal differences in dealing with the students
We are seeking a qualified Guidance Counselor to support and educate elementary, middle and/or high school students through a well-prepared counseling program. You will serve as the facilitator for the attaining of students’ academic or career goals, and assist them in developing their social and mental capacity. The goal is to enable the students to become mature and well-functioning adults.
- Develop and implement an all-encompassing educational and counseling plan with modern methods of teaching and mentoring
- Foster equal opportunity practices and encourage students’ association
- Pay attention to cultural or societal differences in dealing with the students
- Conduct group or individual counseling sessions to assist students with problems or concerns
- Assess students’ attributes (KSAOs) and help them realise their strengths
- Evaluate the progress of students and reinforce the sense of accomplishment
- Identify behavioral problems or at-risk students and act appropriately
- Cooperate with parents and teachers as well as other interested parties
- Complete assessments and tests, analyse results and provide feedback
- Study and update student records
- Prepare and present reviews on progress
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a Guidance Counselor or Teacher;
- Integrity and professionalism
- Ability to operate within a wide range of student personalities and backgrounds
- Education in various models of teaching, best counseling practices and regulations
- Excellent communication skills and high emotional intelligence abilities
- Basic knowledge of computers
- MA degree in school or guidance counseling; guidance counseling credentials is a must;
Frequently asked questions
What does a Guidance Counselor do?
Guidance Counselors help students with social and emotional needs prepare for academic rigor. They take on an array of responsibilities to improve their students’ lives both inside and outside the classroom. They identify students’ issues affecting school performance like absenteeism or behavioral problems and give guidance on decisions about academics and career choices by addressing any fears kids may have along this path.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Guidance Counselor?
Guidance Counselors are the key to success for many students. They help them develop a plan that will work within their academic abilities and interests while facilitating communication between all parties involved- especially if there is an issue at home or school. They are responsible for some degree of crisis intervention when working with students, but their primary responsibility as a Guidance Counselor is prevention through education.
What makes a good Guidance Counselor?
Guidance Counselors have a combination of leadership traits for them to be effective. They have listening skills and empathy, as well as skills in performing assessments or coordinating activities with educational efforts.
Who does a Guidance Counselor work with?
A Guidance Counselor facilitates communication between parents, Teachers, and administrators about behavior issues and assists at events like field trips or dances when needed. Their primary commitment is to the students and being able to be accessible to their needs.