Use this Camp Counselor job description template to find reliable employees who ensure campers are safe and happy. Feel free to modify this sample as needed.
Camp Counselor responsibilities include:
- Supervising young campers at all times
- Leading recreational and educational activities (such as swimming, caving or crafting)
- Ensuring camping equipment is used correctly
We are looking for a Camp Counselor to supervise young campers and make sure they learn and have fun.
What do Camp Counselors do?
The most important out of all Camp Counselor duties is to ensure campers are safe at all times. You’ll be responsible for overseeing their activities and ensuring they don’t get lost or hurt. The job duties of a Camp Counselor also include planning summer camp games, educating children and teenagers and setting up equipment.
Camp Counselor qualifications
Being reliable and able to build good relationships with children are two essential traits of a Camp Counselor. You also need to have knowledge around outdoor activities, like hiking, canoeing or caving. If you’re patient, energetic but strict when needed, we’d like to meet you.
- Plan outdoor activities or sports for groups of campers
- Create weekly or daily schedules taking into account children’s age groups and interests
- Lead recreational and educational activities (such as swimming, caving or crafting)
- Escort and oversee children
- Educate campers through games and explorations
- Set up and maintain equipment (like camping sets)
- Resolve occasional fights between children and address behavioral issues
- Make sure all safety rules are followed
- Ensure camping site is clean and that campers don’t litter recreational areas or nature
- Perform first aid or take care of injuries as needed
- Keep accurate incident logs
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as Camp Counselor or similar role working with children
- Familiarity with camping and various outdoor activities
- Patient and reliable
- Organizational and communication skills
- A love for children
- Energetic and positive personality
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job (strength and stamina to follow strenuous activities like hiking, running, crouching or carrying children)
- First aid- and CPR-certified preferred
- High school diploma
- You may need to pass a drug or background test according to local laws
Frequently asked questions
What does a Camp Counselor do?
Camp Counselors help plan, lead and implement camp programs for campers. They also provide high-quality educational opportunities in an enjoyable environment that encourages growth through safe playtime.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Camp Counselor?
The Camp Counselor will help plan events and lead group activities to monitor the well-being of each camper in their room at night. If a problem arises, such as behavioral issues or accidents, they can respond quickly to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all campers at the campground.
What makes a good Camp Counselor?
Successful Camp Counselors are those who can balance being responsible with a winning personality. They have an upbeat and determined nature, as well as strong leadership skills to help guide campers during their stay on the campgrounds.
Who does Camp Counselor work with?
Camp Counselors work directly with campers to ensure their safety and enjoyment while on the campgrounds. They must also work with other employees to coordinate activities, and they may need to work with parents when situations arise.