This Director of Finance job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Director of Finance responsibilities include:
- Driving the financial planning of the company by analyzing its performance and risks
- Retaining constant awareness of the company’s financial position and acting to prevent problems
- Setting up and overseeing the company’s finance IT system
We are looking for an experienced Director of Finance (Finance Director) to oversee all financial aspects of business and drive the company’s financial strategy and planning. You will be responsible for assessing the financial performance of the company as well as possible risks and investments.
A director of finance is a reliable professional with broad knowledge to all accounting, financial and business principles. They are strategic thinkers and effective leaders who can make the most profitable decisions.
The goal is to guide the company towards profitability and long-term success.
- Drive the financial planning of the company by analyzing its performance and risks
- Retain constant awareness of the company’s financial position and act to prevent problems
- Set up and oversee the company’s finance IT system
- Set targets for and supervise all accounting and finance personnel (management accountants, internal auditors etc.)
- Oversee all audit and internal control operations
- Develop the corporate fundraising strategy and manage relationships with partners and investors
- Prepare timely and detailed reports on financial performance on a quarterly and annual basis
- Conduct analysis to make forecasts and report to upper executives
- Ensure adherence to financial laws and guidelines
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as director of finance or similar role
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices
- Solid knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and financial management software (e.g. SAP)
- An analytical mind with a strategic ability
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- BSc/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field; MSc/MA is a plus
- CPA or other relevant qualification is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Director of Finance do?
A Director of Finance is responsible for the company’s long-term financial health and growth. They establish strategies that will earn profits, oversee accounting operations, produce accurate reports on where money is going within the business and improve or change current practices to increase efficiency.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Director of Finance?
The Director of Finance is in charge of leading and managing all finance functions within an organization. They support senior stakeholders on all business reviews, manage budgets across multiple departments/divisions and forecast future needs using a long-term planning process to make informed decisions that improve company performance.
What makes a good Director of Finance?
A good Director of Finance is resilient, honest and has integrity since they oversee a company’s financial success. In addition, they need to be financial experts who know how to interpret complex financial information and have good communication skills to communicate effectively with company leaders and other stakeholders.
Who does a Director of Finance work with?
A Director of Finance works closely with other senior executives to outline company goals and oversee the organization’s long-term financial health. In addition, they typically supervise a Financial Manager and coordinate a team of Accountants.