Data Entry Clerk responsibilities include:
- Transferring data from paper formats into computer files or database systems
- Typing in data provided directly from customers
- Creating spreadsheets with large numbers of figures without mistakes
We are looking for a Data Entry Clerk to type information into our database from paper documents. The ideal candidate will be computer savvy and a fast typist with a keen eye for detail. You will report to a data manager or another senior data team member. Understanding of data confidentiality principles is compulsory.
The company will rely on you for having accurate and updated data that are easily accessible through a digital database.
- Transfer data from paper formats into computer files or database systems using keyboards, data recorders or optical scanners
- Type in data provided directly from customers
- Create spreadsheets with large numbers of figures without mistakes
- Verify data by comparing it to source documents
- Update existing data
- Retrieve data from the database or electronic files as requested
- Perform regular backups to ensure data preservation
- Sort and organize paperwork after entering data to ensure it is not lost
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as data entry clerk
- Fast typing skills; Knowledge of touch typing system is strongly preferred
- Excellent knowledge of word processing tools and spreadsheets (MS Office Word, Excel etc.)
- Working knowledge of office equipment and computer hardware and peripheral devices
- Basic understanding of databases
- Good command of English both oral and written and customer service skills
- Great attention to detail
- High school degree or equivalent
Frequently asked questions
What does a Data Entry Clerk do?
The Data Entry Clerk maintains the customer database by entering new and updated information and preparing source files that they will use in computerized formats. The process includes compiling all records into one file or table and sorting it based on criteria.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Data Entry Clerk?
A Data Entry Clerk is responsible for transferring data from paper formats into computer files or database systems. Their transfer of data happens manually or using scanners. They type in customers' information and create spreadsheets, verifying them against source documents at different stages during the process.
What makes a Good Data Entry Clerk?
A Data Entry Clerk needs to have good communication skills, fast typing, and accuracy. A high concentration level is necessary. They must stay focused on their task while working with limited distractions from other things. Working with technology is also essential, as they work primarily from a computer.
Who does a Data Entry Clerk work with?
The Data Entry Clerk collaborates with a Document Controller, responsible for ensuring various documents' accuracy. They scan documents and sort them in the correct places so employees can find them as efficiently as possible.