This Data Entry Operator job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages. Customize it with key data entry duties and responsibilities to hire a data entry operator or clerk for your company.
Data Entry Operator responsibilities include:
- Entering customer and account data from source documents within time limits
- Compiling, verifying accuracy and sorting information to prepare source data for computer entry
- Reviewing data for deficiencies or errors, correcting any incompatibilities and checking output
Hiring a data entry operator? Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We are looking for a Data Entry Operator to update and maintain information on our company databases and computer systems.
Data Entry Operator responsibilities include collecting and entering data in databases and maintaining accurate records of valuable company information. Our ideal candidate has essential data entry skills, like fast typing with an eye for detail and familiarity with spreadsheets and online forms. You will work with a data team and Data Manager. Previous experience as a Data Entry Clerk or similar position will be considered an advantage.
Ultimately, a successful Data Entry Operator will be responsible for maintaining accurate, up-to-date and useable information in our systems.
- Insert customer and account data by inputting text based and numerical information from source documents within time limits
- Compile, verify accuracy and sort information according to priorities to prepare source data for computer entry
- Review data for deficiencies or errors, correct any incompatibilities if possible and check output
- Research and obtain further information for incomplete documents
- Apply data program techniques and procedures
- Generate reports, store completed work in designated locations and perform backup operations
- Scan documents and print files, when needed
- Keep information confidential
- Respond to queries for information and access relevant files
- Comply with data integrity and security policies
- Ensure proper use of office equipment and address any malfunctions
Requirements and skills
- Proven data entry work experience, as a Data Entry Operator or Office Clerk
- Experience with MS Office and data programs
- Familiarity with administrative duties
- Experience using office equipment, like fax machine and scanner
- Typing speed and accuracy
- Excellent knowledge of correct spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Attention to detail
- Organization skills, with an ability to stay focused on assigned tasks
- High school diploma; additional computer training or certification will be an asset
Frequently asked questions
What does a Data Entry Operator do?
A Data Entry Operator compiles and verifies data to ensure accuracy while appropriately formatting it. This includes preparing documents for entry and transcribing from paper formats into computer files using manual entry or scanners.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Data Entry Operator?
The duties of a Data Entry Operator include coding information, troubleshooting processing errors and achieving an organization's goals by completing the necessary tasks. They are also responsible for complying with data integrity and security policies, printing and scanning files and generating reports.
What makes a good Data Entry Operator?
A good Data Entry Operator requires strong attention to detail and excellent written and verbal communication skills. They should also have the ability to perform repetitive tasks with a high degree of accuracy in an ever-changing working environment.
Who does a Data Entry Operator work with?
A Data Entry Operator typically works alongside a team of fellow operators in an office setting. In addition, they work closely with various administrative persons such as an Office Clerk.