Use this Controller job description template to hire qualified candidates who’ll manage your finance and accounting operations. Feel free to modify job duties and requirements based on your needs.
Controller responsibilities include:
- Documenting, monitoring and updating accounting policies
- Ensuring all payments are completed on time
- Reviewing quarterly and annual budgets for all departments
We are looking for a Controller to develop accounting policies and oversee all financial procedures of our company.
What does a Controller do?
As a Controller, you’ll monitor the company’s financial status, review quarterly and annual budgets and manage accounting transactions. To be successful in this role, you should have in-depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and experience with risk management.
Ultimately, you’ll make sure we comply with accounting regulations, maximize profits and mitigate risks.
- Document, monitor and update accounting policies
- Ensure all payments are completed on time (including accounts payable and bank deposits)
- Review quarterly and annual budgets for all departments
- Analyze costs and profits
- Set and track financial KPIs
- Build risk assessment models to evaluate investments
- Report on financial status on a regular basis and create ad-hoc reports when needed
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date filing systems
- Perform internal audits and assist with external audits
- Ensure compliance with accounting and tax regulations
- Work experience as a Controller or similar role
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, procedures and legislation
- Hands-on experience with general ledger accounts payable and accounts receivable functions
- Experience with cash management and risk assessment
- Good knowledge of accounting software
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work with tight deadlines
- BSc or MSc in Accounting or Finance
- CPA or CMA preferred