This Accounting Manager job description template is optimized for posting on job boards or careers pages. It's easy to customize for your company. You can include accounting manager duties specific to your company and current projects.
Accounting Manager responsibilities include:
- Managing and overseeing the daily operations of the accounting department
Monitoring and analyzing accounting data and produce financial reports or statements
Establishing and enforcing proper accounting methods, policies and principles
We are looking for an Accounting Manager to supervise, track and evaluate day-to-day activities. Accounting Manager responsibilities include establishing financial status by developing and implementing systems for collecting, analyzing, verifying and reporting information. We are also looking for someone to work closely with our financial management team.
- Manage and oversee the daily operations of the accounting department including:
- month and end-year process
- accounts payable/receivable
- cash receipts
- general ledger
- payroll and utilities
- treasury, budgeting
- cash forecasting
- revenue and expenditure variance analysis
- capital assets reconciliations
- trust account statement reconciliations,
- check runs
- fixed asset activity
- debt activity
Monitor and analyze accounting data and produce financial reports or statements
Establish and enforce proper accounting methods, policies and principles
Coordinate and complete annual audits
Improve systems and procedures and initiate corrective actions
Assign projects and direct staff to ensure compliance and accuracy
Meet financial accounting objectives
Establish and maintain fiscal files and records to document transactions
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as Accounting Manager, Accounting Supervisor or Finance Manager
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office, accounting software and databases
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data
- Proven knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles, practices, standards, laws and regulations
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to direct and supervise
- BS degree in Accounting or Finance
Frequently asked questions
What does an Accounting Manager do?
An Accounting Manager is in charge of reporting an organization's financials correctly. They create systems and processes for analyzing, writing, and following legal requirements and recommending improvements to business procedures.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Accounting Manager?
Responsibilities of an Accounting Manager include preparing and reviewing appropriate ledger entry reconciliations. They're also responsible for maintaining the general ledger system and preparing monthly financial statements submitted with regulatory reports to management, if applicable.
What makes a Good Accounting Manager?
The Accounting Manager is responsible for providing accurate financial data and recommendations based on their findings. This means they must be able to analyze numbers quickly while being well-versed enough with company policies to avoid making costly mistakes.
Who does an Accounting Manager work with?
Often working at Accounting Firms, an Accounting Manager often works alongside Senior Accountants, who handles more specific duties with clients like tax filing and individual financial analyses.