These sample Accounting Supervisor interview questions will help you evaluate candidates’ skills and hire the most qualified professionals for your open roles.
Accounting Supervisor Interview Questions
Accounting Supervisors oversee financial procedures, like accounts payable/receivable, bank reconciliations and tax audits. They also manage a team of Accountants and ensure the accounting department runs smoothly.
Candidates for this role usually have an Accounting or Finance degree, along with relevant certification (e.g. CMA or CPA.) Look for people with experience in senior-level roles, as they’ll be more familiar with financial transactions and accounting software.
During interviews, test candidates’ analytical skills and their ability to handle large amounts of numerical data. If necessary, include an assignment to assess candidates’ experience in managing spreadsheets and creating reports. This position requires team management skills, so ask candidates questions that reveal their ability to motivate and evaluate team members.
Operational and Situational questions
- What measures would you take if you discovered an invoice discrepancy?
- What goals would you set for your team during your first year? How would you keep track of progress?
- What would you do if you found a mistake in a report you prepared but your manager hadn’t noticed?
- What transactions should Junior Accountants know and how would you train them on more advanced financial topics?
- What accounting software do you use?
- How do you check a report for numerical errors?
- What’s your role during regular tax audits?
- What financial data and metrics do you use to prepare a department’s annual budget?
- What reports and invoices do you gather and manage during the year-end closing?
- How do you stay up-to-date with changes in accounting legislation?
- Tell us about a time your attention to detail saved you from making a mistake (e.g. in a forecasting report.)
- Describe the most challenging financial project you’ve managed so far. How did you overcome difficulties?
- Describe a time when you motivated your team to achieve goals. What team management techniques did you use?