Share this aircraft mechanic job description template on job boards and career pages to advertise your vacancies. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
What is an aircraft mechanic?
Aircraft mechanics maintain and repair aircraft systems and their components. They oversee the operation of various aircraft types, including helicopters and jets.
What does an aircraft mechanic do?
Aircraft mechanics inspect mechanical, hydraulic and structural systems and diagnose malfunctions. They use power and hand tools (e.g. saws, grinders) to repair aircraft parts. For example, they fix broken wings and leaks. Aircraft mechanics also ensure compliance with aviation safety rules and regulations.
Aircraft mechanic duties include:
- Using complex manuals and blueprints
- Updating maintenance and repair logs
- Running diagnostic tests
What skills do you need to be an aircraft mechanic?
Aircraft mechanics usually hold a certification for aviation mechanics (e.g. from the Federal Aviation Administration in the US). Troubleshooting, attention to detail, and manual dexterity are some of the most essential aircraft mechanic skills to have.
When building your own aircraft mechanic job description, make sure to include these skills along with any other specific requirements you may have.
Our company is seeking an experienced aircraft mechanic to ensure the safe and efficient operation of aircraft in accordance with regional safety regulations. Your main responsibilities will involve maintaining and repairing various system components. Using power and hand tools, you will diagnose and rectify malfunctions. Collaboration is key, as you will work closely with your supervisor and fellow mechanics to provide prompt and effective solutions.
To excel in this role, you should possess exceptional manual dexterity and stamina. Hands-on experience with complex equipment is essential. Analytical and detail-oriented individuals with a genuine passion for mechanics and aircraft will thrive in this position.
If you meet these qualifications and are eager to contribute to the aviation industry, we encourage you to apply and become part of our team.
- Perform regular system inspections
- Maintain systems and equipment
- Use gauges and diagnostic tests to detect malfunctions
- Repair or replace broken aircraft parts
- Perform troubleshooting
- Keep maintenance and repair logs
- Use power and hand tools (e.g. cranes, grinders)
- Understand and apply guidelines from manuals and blueprints
- Ensure compliance with regional safety regulations
- Collaborate with other mechanics and electricians
Requirements and skills
- Previous experience as a petroleum engineer or in a similar role
- Hands-on experience with drilling equipment
- Great mathematical and IT skills
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting abilities
- Available for travel to different locations on a regular basis
- Professional engineering license is required
- A degree in engineering is a must; MSc is preferred
Frequently asked questions
- What does an aircraft mechanic do?
- An aircraft mechanic inspects, maintains, and repairs aircraft systems and components.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of an aircraft mechanic?
- The duties of an aircraft mechanic include performing inspections, maintaining equipment, diagnosing malfunctions, repairing or replacing parts, and ensuring compliance with safety regulations.
- What makes a good aircraft mechanic?
- A good aircraft mechanic has excellent troubleshooting skills, attention to detail, manual dexterity, and a strong understanding of aviation safety rules and regulations.
- Who does an aircraft mechanic work with?
- An aircraft mechanic works with a team of mechanics, supervisors, and other professionals in the aviation industry. They collaborate closely to ensure the proper functioning of aircraft.
- What skills should an aircraft mechanic have?
- An aircraft mechanic should have skills in troubleshooting, attention to detail, manual dexterity, knowledge of aviation safety regulations, and the ability to use power and hand tools effectively.