Veterinary Assistant job description
A Veterinary Assistant is a professional who is responsible for the cleanliness of the veterinary clinic and helps the Veterinarian with various tasks to ensure their patients receive the care and attention they need while in the veterinary clinic.
Veterinary Assistant duties include:
- Feeding and caring for animals
- Assisting Veterinarians during examinations
- Performing administrative duties
We are looking for a Veterinary Assistant to care for animals and support Veterinarians. You’ll play an important role in bringing comfort to our furry patients and ensuring the smooth running of our facility.
What does a Veterinary Assistant do?
One of the most important Veterinary Assistant responsibilities is to ensure all areas are clean, for animals and humans alike. We’ll also rely on you to assist the Veterinarian in examinations and operations.
Veterinary Assistant skills
Do you love animals? Then you’re halfway there. You also need the ability to care for them properly – that’s one of the most important Vet Assistant job requirements. This includes knowledge of routine tasks, like feeding or bathing animals, but also readiness to care for injured or scared animals that might occasionally lash out.
If you’re also organized, quick on your feet and have the stomach to help with medical operations and euthanasia, we’d like to meet you.
- Feed, groom and weigh animals
- Clean cages and bathe animals
- Sterilize equipment and clean examination tables and rooms
- Restrain animals during examinations or vaccinations
- Soothe upset or frightened animals
- Administer medication prescribed by Veterinarians (e.g. by mixing it with food)
- Observe animal behavior or health condition and report to the Vet
- Help in cases of emergencies
- Handle administrative duties such as scheduling appointments or calling patients in the examination room by priority
- Keep accurate records and logs
- Reassure clients that their pets are being cared for and explain issues (e.g. lack of appointments, insurance matters)
- Advise pet owners on nutrition and healthcare
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a Veterinary Assistant or similar position working with animals
- Experience in an administrative role is a plus
- Current or former pet ownership is an advantage
- Excellent communication skills
- Patient and caring personality
- Ability to follow instructions properly
- Comfortable being around animals (cats, dogs, birds, reptiles etc.)
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job (e.g. lift up to 40 lbs)
- Availability to occasionally work in emergencies
- High school diploma; a certificate from a Veterinary Assistant program is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Veterinary Assistant do?
A Veterinary Assistant supports the Lead Veterinarian and other technicians in all aspects of animal care to ensure animals receive the care and attention needed during a procedure. They typically feed and bathe animals and clean cages and kennels to keep pets clean, safe, and happy while away from their homes.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Veterinary Assistant?
A Veterinary Assistant will have many responsibilities like keeping the animal clinic clean, walking animals as needed, and restocking supplies throughout the day. Some Veterinary Assistants help with clerical duties and administer medications.
What makes a good Veterinary Assistant?
A good Veterinary Assistant must be a good communicator since they work directly with Veterinaries on several cases throughout the day. They also need to be physically fit since they may need to pick up heavy cages and restrain animals during a procedure.
Who does a Veterinary Assistant work with?
A Veterinary Assistant works directly with Veterinarians to ensure animals receive the care and attention they need throughout the day.
Hiring Veterinary Assistant job description
Post this Veterinary Assistant job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.