This Systems engineer job description template is optimized for posting in online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company when recruiting and interviewing. This IT systems engineer job description can be modified and shared to your technical candidates with a background in computer systems engineering and analysis.
Systems Engineer responsibilities include:
- Managing and monitoring all installed systems and infrastructure
- Installing, configuring, testing and maintaining operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Ensuring the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
We are looking for a Systems Engineer to help build out, maintain, and troubleshoot our rapidly expanding infrastructure.
What does a systems engineer do?
You will be part of a talented team of engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance and security. Qualified systems engineers will have a background in IT, computer systems engineering, or systems engineering and analysis.
- Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
Requirements and skills
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject
- Proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting UNIX /Linux based environments.
- Solid experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks (e.g.,Tomcat, JBoss, Apache, Ruby, NGINX)
- Solid Cloud experience, preferably in AWS
- Experience with virtualization and containerization (e.g., VMware, Virtual Box)
- Experience with monitoring systems
- Experience with automation software (e.g., Puppet, cfengine, Chef)
- Solid scripting skills (e.g., shell scripts, Perl, Ruby, Python)
- Solid networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP)
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Systems Engineer do?
- Systems Engineers ensure that all the pieces of an engineering system work together, from managing business and management aspects to making sure each part is engineered correctly.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Systems Engineer?
- A Systems Engineer's job is to determine problems within specific systems. They provide solutions for issues they find in the process, including designing new systems, upgrading hardware and maintaining an existing system.
- What makes a Good Systems Engineer?
- A sound Systems Engineer has excellent communication, personal and governance skills, allowing them to resolve problems and manage projects from the beginning until completion with exceptional efficiency.
- Who does a Systems Engineer work with?
- The Systems Engineer is often the go-to person for communication behind Project Managers who act as the final point of contact, ensuring that any complicated endeavors during system development are solved immediately.