This Software Engineer job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages. It is easy to customize with key duties and responsibilities for your company when hiring developers.
Software Engineer responsibilities include:
- Executing full lifecycle software development
- Programming well-designed, testable, efficient code
- Producing specifications and determine operational feasibility
We are looking for a passionate Software Engineer to design, develop and install software solutions.
Software Engineer responsibilities include gathering user requirements, defining system functionality and writing code in various languages, like Java, Ruby on Rails or .NET programming languages (e.g. C++ or JScript.NET.) Our ideal candidates are familiar with the software development life cycle (SDLC) from preliminary system analysis to tests and deployment.
Ultimately, the role of the Software Engineer is to build high-quality, innovative and fully performing software that complies with coding standards and technical design.
- Execute full software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Develop flowcharts, layouts and documentation to identify requirements and solutions
- Write well-designed, testable code
- Produce specifications and determine operational feasibility
- Integrate software components into a fully functional software system
- Develop software verification plans and quality assurance procedures
- Document and maintain software functionality
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems
- Deploy programs and evaluate user feedback
- Comply with project plans and industry standards
- Ensure software is updated with latest features
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Software Engineer or Software Developer
- Experience designing interactive applications
- Ability to develop software in Java, Ruby on Rails, C++ or other programming languages
- Excellent knowledge of relational databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate)
- Experience developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC)
- Experience with test-driven development
- Proficiency in software engineering tools
- Ability to document requirements and specifications
- BSc degree in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Software Engineer do?
- Software Engineers create software using the right programming languages, platforms and architectures. Not only do they build their systems, but they also develop, test, improve and maintain software by other engineers.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Software Engineer?
- Software engineers review upcoming project deadlines and plan work activities around those dates and other obligations throughout an average shift. This can include testing & troubleshooting defects in coding done and collaboration with fellow software engineering employees for complex tasks like updating software systems or adding new ones.
- What makes a good Software Engineer?
- A good Software Engineer must possess technical skills and interpersonal skills and effectively communicate with users to test and debug software through to the end product. To excel in this role, those who are inquisitive, have excellent problem-solving and analytical skills would be a great fit.
- Who does a Software Engineer work with?
- Software Engineers will frequently consult with clients, other engineers, security specialists and other internal stakeholders. In large IT firms, they typically report to the Senior Software Engineer or Director, and those in large corporations report to the IT Department Manager.