System Security Engineer responsibilities include:
- Engineering, implementing and monitoring security measures for the protection of computer systems, networks and information
- Identifying and defining system security requirements
- Designing computer security architecture and developing detailed cyber security designs
We are looking for a capable System Security Engineer, who enjoys security work and possesses both deep and wide expertise in the security space.
You will make things more secure by protecting system boundaries, keeping computer systems and network devices hardened against attacks and securing highly sensitive data. Qualified candidates will have a background in Security or Systems Engineering.
- Engineer, implement and monitor security measures for the protection of computer systems, networks and information
- Identify and define system security requirements
- Design computer security architecture and develop detailed cyber security designs
- Prepare and document standard operating procedures and protocols
- Configure and troubleshoot security infrastructure devices
- Develop technical solutions and new security tools to help mitigate security vulnerabilities and automate repeatable tasks
- Ensure that the company knows as much as possible, as quickly as possible about security incidents
- Write comprehensive reports including assessment-based findings, outcomes and propositions for further system security enhancement
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a System Security Engineer or Information Security Engineer
- Experience in building and maintaining security systems
- Detailed technical knowledge of database and operating system security
- Hands on experience in security systems, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software, authentication systems, log management, content filtering, etc
- Experience with network security and networking technologies and with system, security, and network monitoring tools
- Thorough understanding of the latest security principles, techniques, and protocols
- Familiarity with web related technologies (Web applications, Web Services, Service Oriented Architectures) and of network/web related protocols
- Problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Security Engineer do?
- The role of a Security Engineer is to identify threats and vulnerabilities in the company’s IT systems while also testing their security. They advise management on policies related to this industry, which requires an expert knowledge in networking protocols with other hard skills like software architecture or programming languages depending on what area they are working in at any given time.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Security Engineer?
- The job of the security engineer is to stay on top and ahead of their game in order to protect company data. They do this by developing robust countermeasures for any malicious actors who may want access, implementing these protective measures across all types or networks (both internal and external), and monitoring traffic patterns so that they can detect attacks before it's too late. They also train employees about best practices when handling customer information while also advising management on what investments need made now versus later depending upon budget constraints.
- What makes a good Security Engineer?
- The best Security Engineers are problem solvers. They have in-depth knowledge of security protocols, principles, and critical thinking skills to solve complex problems that arise during their workday with clients or employers.
- Who does a Security Engineer work with?
- Security Engineers will educate and train staff on security best practices. They work with a variety of engineers in the IT department, including the Network Engineer, who ensures the reliability and accessibility to a network.