This Network Engineer job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company. Modify these network engineering duties and responsibilities to fit the particular needs as your company recruits for this role. Similar job titles include Senior Network Engineer.
Network Engineer Responsibilities
- Monitoring network engineering performance and ensure system availability and reliability
- Configuring and installing various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN, QoS)
- Performing network maintenance and system upgrades including service packs, patches, hot fixes and security configurations
We are looking for a Network Engineer to design, implement, maintain, and support our growing network infrastructure. You will be part of a systems engineering team that is responsible for designing and developing scalable, maintainable, highly available network architectures that meet business objectives and SLAs.
- Configure and install various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN, QoS)
- Perform network maintenance and system upgrades including service packs, patches, hot fixes and security configurations
- Monitor performance and ensure system availability and reliability
- Monitor system resource utilization, trending, and capacity planning
- Provide Level-2/3 support and troubleshooting to resolve issues
- Work within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure
- Select and implement security tools, policies, and procedures in conjunction with the company’s security team
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Proven hands-on network engineering experience
- CCNP or higher (CCIE and/or CISSP highly valued)
- Deep understanding of networking protocols (e.g., IPSEC, HSRP, BGP, OSPF, 802.11, QoS)
- Solid understanding of the OSI or TCP/IP model
- Hands-on experience with monitoring, network diagnostic and network analytics tools
- University degree in Computer Science or a related subject
- Source and recruit Network Engineers with Workable’s Boolean search cheat sheets.