This Computer Security Specialist job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Computer Security Specialist Responsibilities include:
- Designing and implementing safety measures and controls
- Monitoring network activity to identify vulnerable points
- Acting on privacy breaches and malware threats
We are looking for a Computer Security Specialist to implement and maintain our security systems. You will be responsible for preventing unauthorized access to our data and responding to privacy breaches.
In this role, you should be knowledgeable about security frameworks and systems. If you’re also a problem-solver and quick decision-maker, we’d like to meet you.
Your goal will be to ensure that our technology infrastructure is well-protected.
- Analyze IT specifications to assess security risks
- Design and implement safety measures and data recovery plans
- Install, configure and upgrade security software (e.g. antivirus programs)
- Secure networks through firewalls, password protection and other systems
- Inspect hardware for vulnerable points of access
- Monitor network activity to identify issues early and communicate them to IT teams
- Act on privacy breaches and malware threats
- Serve as a security expert and conduct trainings when needed
- Draft policies and guidelines
- Proven experience as a Computer Security Specialist
- Programming skills are preferred (e.g. knowledge of C++, PHP languages)
- Familiarity with security frameworks (e.g. NIST Cybersecurity framework) and risk management methodologies
- Knowledge of patch management, firewalls and intrusion detection/prevention systems (e.g. TippingPoint)
- Familiarity with public key infrastructure (PKI) and cryptographic protocols (e.g. SSL/ TLS)
- An analytical mind with excellent problem-solving ability
- Outstanding communication and organization skills
- Decision-making skills
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field; professional certification (e.g. CompTIA Security+, CISSP) is a plus