What is a structural engineer?
Structural engineers oversee the completion of construction projects and ensure structures are durable and safe.
What does a structural engineer do?
Structural engineers design buildings, bridges, and other types of structures. They build 2D and 3D models using computer-aided design technology (e.g. AutoCAD). They measure loads and presses to secure structural soundness. Structural engineer duties also include collaborating with contractors and guiding construction workers onsite.
Overall, structural engineer job responsibilities include:
- Building structures based on technical specifications
- Tracking project progress and reporting on results
- Choosing appropriate materials to ensure durability
What skills do you need to be a structural engineer?
Structural engineers usually hold a degree in Structural Engineering or similar field. They have experience using computer-aided design software, such as AutoCAD. This role requires great analytical and mathematical skills to conduct accurate calculations. Budgeting and project management are also important structural engineering skills.
When you craft your own structural engineer job description, make sure to mention these qualifications and skills as requirements.
We are looking for a structural engineer to oversee our construction projects. You’ll ensure that structures are safe and strong. As a structural engineer, you’ll spend time both in our office – designing and planning project details – and on-site where you’ll provide technical advice to construction workers.
To succeed in this role, you should have hands-on experience using several construction methods and materials and advanced knowledge of AutoCAD. Project management and analytical skills are also very important.
- Design structures, such as buildings or bridges
- Create structural models by using computer-aided design software
- Measure loads and pressures caused by environmental or human influence
- Follow construction safety guidelines
- Choose appropriate materials based on structural specifications
- Monitor on-site construction processes and supervise construction workers
- Prepare and allocate budgets
- Track and report on project progress
- Collaborate with contractors and project managers
- Previous experience as a Structural Engineer or similar field
- Excellent knowledge of construction methods and regulations
- Hands-on experience with AutoCAD
- Data-driven mindset with excellent mathematical skills
- Good communication ability (both written and verbal)
- Attention to detail
- Degree in Structural Engineering; a Master’s degree is a plus
- Member of the Institute of Structural Engineering