This Construction Project Manager job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages and easy to customise for your company.
Construction Project Manager responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with engineers, architects etc. to determine the specifications of the project
- Negotiating contracts with external vendors to reach profitable agreements
- Obtaining permits and licenses from appropriate authorities
We are looking for an experienced Construction Project Manager to plan and supervise a wide range of construction projects from start to finish. You will organize and oversee construction procedures and ensure they are completed in a timely and efficient manner.
An excellent Construction Project Manager must be well-versed in all construction methodologies and procedures and able to coordinate a team of professionals of different disciplines to achieve the best results. The ideal candidate will have an analytical mind and great organizational skills.
The goal will be to ensure all projects are delivered on time according to requirements and without exceeding budget.
- Collaborate with engineers, architects etc. to determine the specifications of the project
- Negotiate contracts with external vendors to reach profitable agreements
- Obtain permits and licenses from appropriate authorities
- Determine needed resources (manpower, equipment and materials) from start to finish with attention to budgetary limitations
- Plan all construction operations and schedule intermediate phases to ensure deadlines will be met
- Acquire equipment and material and monitor stocks to timely handle inadequacies
- Hire contractors and other staff and allocate responsibilities
- Supervise the work of laborers, mechanics etc. and give them guidance when needed
- Evaluate progress and prepare detailed reports
- Ensure adherence to all health and safety standards and report issues
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as construction project manager
- In-depth understanding of construction procedures and material and project management principles
- Familiarity with quality and health and safety standards
- Good knowledge of MS Office
- Familiarity with construction/ project management software
- Outstanding communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- A team player with leadership abilities
- BSc/BA in engineering, building science or relevant field
- PMP or equivalent certification will be an advantage
Frequently asked questions
What does a Construction Project Manager do?
Construction Project Managers have the ultimate authority to oversee every phase of a construction project. They make sure that they complete projects within the timeline and budget.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Construction Project Manager?
The Construction Project Manager's responsibilities are to manage relationships with key stakeholders, create benchmarks for success and deliverables (including managing budgets) and plan work assignments that meet deadlines requirements while considering changes in budget or scope during the execution of the contract.
What makes a good Construction Project Manager?
An effective Construction Project Manager should communicate with all different construction workers and managers across the project to ensure all tasks are performed promptly. They must create strong relationships between workers and managers, which are vital when dealing with such tense situations that can arise at any moment during a building project's life cycle from start to finish.
Who does the Construction Project Manager work with?
The Construction Project Manager is in charge of every aspect of a project during construction, but they must still report to their Project Manager. Construction Project Managers also need to communicate with hands-on construction workers who work in the field to ensure the project remains within budget and timelines are met.