What is a superintendent in construction?
Construction superintendents ensure projects are delivered successfully and on time. They collaborate with engineers and subcontractors to define project needs and oversee staff performance.
What does a superintendent do?
Construction superintendents monitor projects from planning to completion, including tasks such as budgeting and scheduling. They follow quality standards and ensure the safety and security of the construction site. A construction superintendent also communicates and negotiates with external partners, such as vendors and lawyers.
Overall, construction superintendent responsibilities include:
- Keeping track of project progress
- Ensuring compliance with safety, health, and quality standards
- Purchasing equipment and materials
These responsibilities may vary based on each project. When building your own construction superintendent job description, make sure to tailor them accordingly.
Our team is looking for an experienced construction superintendent to manage our projects. You’ll supervise our staff and ensure projects are delivered on time. As a superintendent, your job duties will also include allocating and monitoring budgets.
This role requires excellent communication skills, as you’ll collaborate with various people, such as construction workers, architects and engineers. In order to succeed, it’s important to know how to implement quality, health, and safety standards onsite.
If you are organized, able to work well under pressure and have experience in this field, we’d like to meet you.
- Collaborate with engineers, subcontractors, etc. to determine project needs
- Set performance goals and deadlines
- Plan construction processes
- Estimate costs and ensure the project is on budget
- Supervise staff and provide constructive feedback
- Monitor and report on project progress
- Plan inspections and obtain construction permits from local authorities
- Implement safety and quality guidelines
- Order the appropriate equipment and arrange for regular maintenance
- Keep track of material stock and orders
- Ensure the job site remains safe, clean, and orderly
- Resolve on-site issues and emergencies
Requirements and skills
- Previous experience as a construction superintendent or in a similar role
- Knowledge of local quality, safety, and health guidelines for construction job sites
- In-depth understanding of construction operations and processes
- Familiarity with CAD software
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to lead and inspire
- Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or similar field; Master’s degree is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Construction Superintendent do?
A Construction Superintendent executes construction projects by organizing, planning, and overseeing project tasks. They complete quality inspections and supervise all project members, including staff and sub-contractors.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Construction Superintendent?
A Construction Superintendent is responsible for monitoring construction projects for their entire lifecycle. Their duties include budgeting supplies, equipment, and labor. A Construction Specialist is also responsible for ensuring all safety, quality, and health standards are met.
What makes a good Construction Superintendent?
A successful Construction Superindentent should have excellent communication and time management skills. They should have extensive construction experience and have the ability to take the initiative as needed during the construction project. A good Construction Superintendent is resourceful and able to think analytically when faced with a problem.
Who does a Construction Superintendent work with?
A Construction Superintendent works directly with sub-contractors and crews to ensure construction tasks are completed on time. They also collaborate with Construction Foreman to ensure all is running smoothly on the construction site.