What is a Staff Accountant?
A Staff Accountant handles a company’s accounting procedures and maintains a healthy financial profile ensuring compliance with state, federal, and local principles. When hiring accounting staff for your company, make sure they’re familiar with all financial laws and regulations that apply in your region and are specific to your industry.
What does a Staff Accountant do?
Staff Accountants prepare and review financial documents, reports, and statements. They oversee all accounting procedures (e.g. tax returns, month-end closures, budgeting) and advise on general financial matters.
Staff Accountant duties include:
- Managing financial reports, records, and accounts
- Conducting billing processes (e.g. tax, revenue)
- Maintaining the general ledger
We are looking for a Staff Accountant to manage general accounting and financial processes of our company.
You’ll be responsible for all daily accounting tasks, including preparing tax documents and updating expense files. You will perform financial transactions and post them in the general ledger, with strong attention to detail. You will also carry out relevant administrative duties (e.g. responding to clients via email and handling invoices).
Ultimately, you will ensure the company’s finances run smoothly.
- Maintain and update accounting records and files
- Analyze budgets and create expense reports
- Examine tax policies and handle tax payments and returns
- Meet with clients to discuss confidential accounting issues
- Post transactions and categorize records in the general ledger (e.g. by assets, liabilities and expenses)
- Reconcile bank statements
- Analyze transactions with internal and external stakeholders
- Conduct month-end and year-end closures
- Prepare documents for audits
- Advise clients on financial issues via email or phone
- Apply new accounting policies and ensure compliance with rules and regulations
- Report to the Accounting Manager and work to improve financial processes
- Similar experience as a Staff Accountant or relevant role in accounting
- Excellent use of Microsoft Office Word and Excel; very good with spreadsheets
- Knowledge of an accounting information system is a plus
- Good math skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Degree in Accounting; MSc is a plus