This Security Officer job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company. Similar job titles include Security Specialist and Facility Security Officer.
Security Officer responsibilities include:
- Patrolling premises regularly to maintain order and establish presence
- Monitoring and authorizing entrance of vehicles or people in the property
- Removing wrongdoers or trespassers from the area
We are looking for a competent Security Officer to undertake the surveillance of our premises and protection of our staff and visitors. You will be responsible for detecting any suspicious behavior and preventing vandalism, thefts or other criminal behavior.
A security officer must be well-trained in surveillance and dealing with perpetrators. The ideal candidate will inspire respect and authority as well as possess a high level of observation.
The goal is to help the company in maintaining excellent working conditions by keeping our facilities safe and problem-free.
- Patrol premises regularly to maintain order and establish presence
- Monitor and authorize entrance of vehicles or people in the property
- Remove wrongdoers or trespassers from the area
- Secure all exits, doors and windows after end of operations
- Check surveillance cameras periodically to identify disruptions or unlawful acts
- Investigate people for suspicious activity or possessions
- Respond to alarms by investigating and assessing the situation
- Provide assistance to people in need
- Apprehend and detain perpetrators according to legal protocol before arrival of authorities
- Submit reports of daily surveillance activity and important occurrences
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as security officer or guard
- Knowledge of legal guidelines for area security and public safety
- Familiarity with report writing
- Excellent surveillance and observation skills
- Tech-savvy with experience in surveillance systems
- Trained in First Aid/BLS and self-defense
- Registered as a security officer
- High School diploma is required
Frequently asked questions
What does a Security Officer do?
Security Officers protect the people and assets of a company by keeping watch for any threats. They perform regular security checks on buildings and can be found at entrance points, so no intruders successfully enter the premises.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Security Officer?
A Security Officer is responsible for securing premises and personnel by patrolling property and monitoring surveillance equipment with a sharp eye. They inspect buildings and assure compliance to policy and procedure while also preventing losses or damage by reporting irregularities that may arise, such as theft attempts on valuable assets.
What makes a Good Security Officer?
Security Officers must have excellent communication skills. Being able to explain the details of any situation, no matter who arrives on the scene, helps them make better decisions about how best to handle things as needed.
Who does a Security Officer work with?
A Security Officer works alongside or under a Security Manager who oversees all security operations within a company. A Security Officer may provide briefs on specific situations to the manager, who will handle the more complex elements.