Security Guard interview questions and answers
This Security Guard interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
Make sure that you are interviewing the best security guard candidates. Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Security Guard Interview Questions
Security guards are your first line of defense for your premises, personnel and assets. Most employers hire candidates with high school diplomas and formal training (i.e. a diploma). CPR and First Aid certification is desirable, as is experience with surveillance systems and emergency equipment. Comfort with computers is helpful, as they will occasionally have to use CCTV camera programs, email, word processing programs, etc.
This mix of open-ended and situational interview questions will help you evaluate the experience of your candidates as well as their situational judgement. The person you hire should demonstrate good problem-solving skills. They should be alert and quick to respond to emergency situations. They should also have good ethics. During these interviews, see how they respond to coworkers and your own employees attempting unauthorized access to the building and your assets.
It might be helpful to ask some questions about process. For example, we’ve written one that goes “Walk me through the standard procedures for admitting guests at your previous job.” You may not want to know what those are, necessarily, but you’ll want to see that your candidates know standard operating procedures inside and out.
Operational and Situational questions
- What, in your opinion, are the responsibilities of a security guard?
- Describe your experience with computers.
- What surveillance systems are you familiar with?
- What would you do if you caught a fellow security officer sleeping on the job?
- What would you do if a visitor to your facility resisted metal screening upon entering?
- Have you ever felt like you were in physical danger on the job? How did you handle it?
- How would you handle incidents such as theft or vandalism?
- How would you control large crowds at events?
- Recall a time an unauthorized person tried to enter your building. How did you respond?
- What if an authorized person, such as a senior executive, tried to enter the building after hours but didn’t have proper credentials? What would you do?
- Who would you deal with first: the group of guests on the first floor or the emergency situation on the 4th floor?
- Walk me through the standard procedures for admitting guests at your previous job.
- When would you need to use arms to diffuse a situation?
- Are you prepared to use medical training to save a life?