Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
Marketing Director Interview Questions
Marketing Directors plan, develop and implement effective marketing campaigns to meet long-term business goals. They supervise team members and set marketing objectives.
When hiring for this role, look for candidates with solid experience in managing marketing and advertising projects end-to-end. They should be familiar with various techniques, like paid advertising campaigns and hosting promotional events. During the interviews, test candidates’ knowledge of digital tools (e.g. Google Analytics and CRM software.)
It’s best to look for candidates who understand your industry. They are more likely to pinpoint your needs, suggest new ways to deal with competition and reach your target audiences. The following questions will also help you evaluate whether candidates have the leadership skills to motivate their team to achieve goals.
Operational and Situational questions
- For what kinds of products/events would you choose to market exclusively via mobile marketing campaigns?
- How would you determine who to invite to a product launch and how would you invite them?
- What kind of training and educational resources would you recommend to an entry-level marketer?
- Would you cross social media off the marketing mix if you discovered that it didn’t bring you new customers?
- What email tracking metrics would you use to measure the success of your newsletter?
- The CEO asks your team to create a booth and promotional materials in order to participate in an important conference. How would you prioritize the work if the conference was in one week?
- Which companies do you think are our biggest competitors? Why?
- Who is our audience and what would you do to increase our customer base?
- What marketing software (e.g. CRM) do you use?
- What are the most effective SEO practices to optimize online content?
- What metrics do you track on a regular basis? How and when do you inform your team about the results of your activities?
- How do you evaluate your team’s performance?
- What do you take into account when preparing your department’s budget?
- Give me an example of a Google AdWord campaign you worked on. What did you try to improve and what were the results?
- Have you ever participated in a marketing campaign that failed? If so, what went wrong and what did you do differently next time?
- How do you deal with conflicts on your team?
- Describe a time when you worked on a cross-team project. How did you prioritize tasks and what did you do to ensure everyone delivered on time?
- How do you find out about new marketing tools and techniques?