These makeup artist interview questions can be used as a guide to discover important skills in your candidates. Adjust them to suit the role you’re hiring for.
Makeup Artist Interview Questions
The skillset of a makeup artist may vary depending on the setting they work in. For example, a makeup artist working in the film industry needs skills in applying prosthetics and creating special effects, while one working at a salon or retail store needs a better understanding of fashion trends and sales. Devote time during the interview to discover whether the candidate has enough knowledge and experience for that particular position.
Apart from role-specific questions, you can ask questions that refer to common skills of makeup artists. Interpersonal ability, creativity, passion and commitment to health and safety are all essential. Look for candidates that demonstrate their artistry on their person (without being too elaborate) and who are familiar with your company and/or products.
It’s always a good idea to ask them for their portfolio. Sometimes, companies may hold an open house interview giving an assignment to all candidates so they can see them in action. If you do, make sure you judge their technique and attitude as well as the result.
Operational and Situational questions
- How do you prepare different skin types before applying make up?
- If a customer asked you what’s the most suitable foundation tone for them, how would you help?
- Imagine a customer asked you for a makeup style that was unsuitable for them. How do you handle it?
- Choose your favorite cosmetic product and sell it to me
- What would be the effect of analogous/complimentary colors in makeup?
- Imagine you make a mistake while you apply makeup to a customer. How do you handle it?
- If you had to choose makeup according to lighting, how would you go about it?
- May I see your portfolio?
- What fascinates you about this line of work?
- Tell me about two season makeup trends you find interesting
- How would you rate your knowledge of the color wheel? How about skintones?
- Do you have any sales experience?
- What cosmetic products do you use on a regular basis?
- When and how do you clean your tools?
- Do you have experience with FX prosthetics?
- Tell me about a time you had a very stressful day at work and how did you handle it?
- Recall a time you had to face a frustrated customer who wasn’t satisfied with the hair or makeup services you provided. How did you handle it?
- Have you ever had a conflict with a coworker/supervisor? How did you resolve it?
- Recall a time you gave advice to a customer on how to take care of their makeup