Machine Operator job description
A Machine Operator is a professional who is responsible for operating their assigned machinery. They ensure their machine runs smoothly, works at capacity without issue and is appropriately maintained.
This Machine Operator job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Machine Operator responsibilities include:
- Setting up machines to start a production cycle
- Controlling and adjusting machine settings (e.g. speed)
- Feeding raw material or parts to semi-automated machines
We are looking for a skilled Machine Operator to set up, maintain and operate machinery. You’ll ensure the interminable and efficient running of production.
A great machine operator is reliable and able to work with attention to detail and safety standards. On-the-job training is a good way to discover how to do the job better, so you should have willingness to learn and improve. Being a team player is essential since all tasks will require close collaboration with co-workers.
The goal will be to ensure that production procedures will be carried on smoothly to maximize efficiency and profits.
- Set up machines (calibration, cleaning etc.) to start a production cycle
- Control and adjust machine settings (e.g. speed)
- Feed raw material or parts to semi-automated machines
- Inspect parts with precision and measuring tools
- Test operation of machines periodically
- Fix issues that might occur during the shift
- Check output to spot any machine-related mistakes or flaws
- Keep records of approved and defective units or final products
- Maintain activity logs
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a machine operator
- Working knowledge of diverse high-speed machinery and measurement tools (caliper, micrometer etc.)
- Understanding of production procedures
- Adherence to health and safety regulations (e.g. constant use of protective gear)
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics and manuals
- Analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Teamwork and communication skills
- Physical stamina and strength
- High school diploma or equivalent; technical degree is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Machine Operator do?
A Machine Operator is responsible for various day-to-day functions, from set-up and loading to operating machinery with efficiency. They ensure the machine’s performance allows every aspect of production to run smoothly.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Machine Operator?
A Machine Operator is responsible for monitoring, maintaining and operating warehouse equipment. They are also responsible for cleaning and quality-checking their machinery to ensure everything works as it should.
What makes a good Machine Operator?
A good Machine Operator is a self-motivated team player. They have the skills to successfully work with their assigned machinery to keep it running efficiently. Effective Machine Operators can think on their feet, make quick decisions and have strong attention to detail to ensure no machinery issues go unnoticed.
Who does a Machine Operator work with?
A Machine Operator works with other Machinists to ensure their equipment runs appropriately and all manufacturing goals are met. They may also work with a Maintenance Technician to complete all required repairs and maintenance for their assigned machinery.
Hiring Machine Operator job description
Post this Machine Operator job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.