Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
Machine Operator Interview Questions
Machine operators set up, control and maintain machines. They work typically in manufacturing and production but may also be found in other functions such as packaging and filling.
Generally, a high school diploma is enough to enter this profession. Some related experience is often required but not always, since a lot of on-the-job training is involved. Strong technical aptitude should be reflected in the candidate’s resume.
Questions can be divided into four categories: technical knowledge (machines, measuring and procedures), quality control, safety and collaboration. All of them address a set of skills that are vital for machine operators. If your company uses a specific type of machine, you can ask them how familiar they are with it. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a commitment to doing things the right way.
Operational and Situational questions
- What are three things you must do before you start a production cycle?
- What kind of information should you keep in logs?
- You discover that a machine has an issue. Your supervisor asks you to let it run until the daily production quota has been met and then fix it. What do you do?
- As a machine operator, how would you work towards quality assurance?
- If you noticed that your colleagues are not complying with safety rules what would you do?
- Imagine two machines break down at the same time. Which one will you fix first?
- Do you have experience with [type of machine]?
- How do you go through a quality check?
- What are the steps you follow to perform maintenance to a machine?
- What’s your experience in programming machines?
- What tools do you use to perform measurements on the job?
- Do you prefer working individually or as part of a team and why?
- Have you ever noticed a hazard in the workplace and what did you do about it?
- Describe a time when you disagreed with a co-worker. How did you resolve it?
- Have you ever made a mistake in measuring parts or final products? What happened?
- Tell me one thing you did to improve quality in your last job