Legal Assistant responsibilities include:
- Providing administrative support to lawyer and enhance office effectiveness
- Handling communication with clients, witnesses etc.
- Legal administrative support for trials
We are looking for a self motivated Legal Assistant to ensure smooth running of the office and effective case management. You will provide a broad spectrum of legal services under the supervision of an attorney.
- Provide administrative support to lawyer and enhance office effectiveness
- Handle communication with clients, witnesses etc.
- Administratively support and attend trials
- Prepare case briefs and summarize depositions, interrogatories and testimony
- Conduct investigations and statistical/documentary research
- Locate and develop case relevant information
- Type up and file basic legal documents and correspondence
- Answer and direct phone calls
- Maintain contact lists
- Monitor deadlines and juggle calendars
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as Legal Assistant or Legal Secretary
- Familiarity with law, legal procedures and protocols, and court system
- Satisfactory knowledge of day-to-day operations of a legal office
- Computer literacy
- Proficiency in English
- Working knowledge of case management software
- Excellent secretarial and organisational skills
- Ability to juggle multiple activities and work under pressure
- Legal Assistant certification or diploma
Frequently asked questions
What does a Legal Assistant do?
Legal Assistants perform various tasks, including maintaining files, researching laws for their client's needs, and drafting documents to help them achieve victory at trial or resolved arbitration hearings.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Legal Assistant?
Legal Assistants do various tasks, like transcribing meeting minutes, answering phones, managing schedules, and maintaining filing systems.
What makes a Good Legal Assistant?
Legal Assistants need excellent writing skills, communication, listening abilities, and computer knowledge. Researching cases is essential for legal assistants who want their work done quickly while still being thorough.
Who does a Legal Assistant work with?
A Legal Assistant often works as a Legal Secretary, as both of them complete clerical and general tasks for lawyers. However, a Secretary may take less laborious tasks, handing off the heavy-duty work to the Legal Assistant.