IT Manager job description
An IT Manager is a professional who ensures that all employees have the technology they need to get their job done, from a reliable laptop and VPN access for remote workers who can't be reached otherwise, to up-close coordination with other departments like HR or finance so data is secure.
This IT Manager job description template is optimized for posting in online job boards or careers pages.
IT Manager responsibilities include:
- Managing information technology and computer systems
- Controlling and evaluating IT and electronic data operations
- Managing IT staff
We are looking for an IT Manager to be responsible and accountable for the smooth running of our computer systems within the limits of requirements, specifications, costs and timelines. You will supervise the implementation and maintenance of our company’s computing needs.
The successful candidate will have improved skills, a proven professional experience and a detailed knowledge of industry’s best practice processes.
- Manage information technology and computer systems
- Plan, organize, control and evaluate IT and electronic data operations
- Manage IT staff by recruiting, training and coaching employees, communicating job expectations and appraising their performance
- Design, develop, implement and coordinate systems, policies and procedures
- Ensure security of data, network access and backup systems
- Act in alignment with user needs and system functionality to contribute to organizational policy
- Identify problematic areas and implement strategic solutions in time
- Audit systems and assess their outcomes
- Preserve assets, information security and control structures
- Handle annual budget and ensure cost effectiveness
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as an IT Manager or relevant experience
- Excellent knowledge of technical management, information analysis and of computer hardware/software systems
- Expertise in data centre management and data governance
- Hands-on experience with computer networks, network administration and network installation
- Ability to manage personnel
- BS in Computer Science, MIS or similar field
Frequently asked questions
What does an IT Manager do?
IT Managers are responsible for connecting our office to the world. From managing voice, video and data connections on-site at each location as well as checking in with remote workers about their tech needs– they make sure the company is always connected.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an IT Manager?
The main responsibilities of an IT Manager are the supervision and maintenance of all computer systems within a company. They will ensure that these services run smoothly by monitoring their efficiency as well as security measures taken against any vulnerabilities in software programs used on a day-to-day basis, ensuring secure operation throughout every department.
What makes a good IT Manager?
IT Managers must be able to handle budgets and timelines when working with multiple groups of people both inside an organization and remotely. They need strong project management skills to work effectively, whether it's managing projects on their own or managing others' projects while still following through themselves. It's also important to have strong interpersonal & technical skills as a successful IT Manager.
Who does an IT Manager work with?
An IT Manager is responsible for maintaining all systems on-site and remotely. They work closely with and train Systems & Database Administrators. Additional day-to-day colleagues can range from Engineers, Operators, Security Practitioners, Product Managers and others throughout the company.
Hiring IT Manager job description
Post this IT Manager job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.