This Internal Auditor job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Internal Auditor responsibilities include:
- Performing the full audit cycle including risk management and control management over operations’ effectiveness, financial reliability and compliance with all applicable directives and regulations
- Determining internal audit scope and developing annual plans
- Obtaining, analyzing and evaluating accounting documentation, reports, data, flowcharts etc
We are looking for an objective Internal Auditor to add value and improve our operations by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. The successful candidate will possess a thorough knowledge of accounting procedures and a sound judgement.
- Perform and control the full audit cycle including risk management and control management over operations’ effectiveness, financial reliability and compliance with all applicable directives and regulations
- Determine internal audit scope and develop annual plans
- Obtain, analyse and evaluate accounting documentation, previous reports, data, flowcharts etc
- Prepare and present reports that reflect audit’s results and document process
- Act as an objective source of independent advice to ensure validity, legality and goal achievement
- Identify loopholes and recommend risk aversion measures and cost savings
- Maintain open communication with management and audit committee
- Document process and prepare audit findings memorandum
- Conduct follow up audits to monitor management’s interventions
- Engage to continuous knowledge development regarding sector’s rules, regulations, best practices, tools, techniques and performance standards
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as Internal Auditor or Senior Auditor
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office, accounting software and databases
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data and to compile detailed reports
- Proven knowledge of auditing standards and procedures, laws, rules and regulations
- High attention to detail and excellent analytical skills
- Sound independent judgement
- BS degree in Accounting or Finance
Frequently asked questions
What does an Internal Auditor do?
The Internal Auditor studies accounting records and prepares compliance reports to ensure that everything has been done correctly according to rules set by industry standards.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Internal Auditor?
An Internal Auditor's job is to ensure that all the business processes in a company are risk-management compliant. The operating process includes assessing certain areas for compliance with relevant laws and evaluating how effective this department has been at implementing its controls into practices.
What makes a good Internal Auditor?
Internal Auditors need to have integrity and be fair in all their work. They also must show trust, independence and objectivity while being tough enough for difficult situations that can arise during an audit.
Who does an Internal Auditor work with?
Internal Auditors often work under Senior Auditors, who oversee many Internal audit processes.