This Interior Designer job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Interior Designer responsibilities include:
- Undertaking design project from concept to completion
- Defining project requirements and schedule during the “brief”
- Interpreting and translating customer needs into rough plans
We are looking for an artful Interior Designer to undertake a variety of space designing projects. You will deal with design from conceptual development and liaising with the stakeholders to managing and executing the design.
The goal is to design practical spaces but yet visually pleasing.
- Undertake design project from concept to completion
- Define project requirements and schedule during the “brief”
- Interpret and translate customer needs into rough plans
- Set costs and project fees according to budget
- Research and decide on materials and products sourcing
- Produce “sample” and “mood products”
- Supervise work progress
- Work closely with designers, decorators, architects and constructors
- Research and follow industry changes, evolutions and best practises
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience in decorating interior spaces (consultations, renovations, space planning and new constructions)
- Expertise in layout, colour, lighting, materials selection, custom furniture and all installations.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, SketchUp, 3D Max, Illustrator or other design programs
- Excellent portfolio of previous works
- Creative talent, imagination and eye for design
- Communication and presentation skills
- Project management skills
- BS degree in Interior Design or similar
Frequently asked questions
What does an Interior Designer do?
The Interior Designer uses their expertise to create spaces that will serve the room's purpose and offer the desired aesthetics. They assess the requirements for each type of space and determine optimal decoration and furniture placement according to their size and use purpose. They sketch out different designs and plans and decide how much they will cost for certain projects. All this while adhering strictly to relevant blueprint laws and inspection rules, so everything happens smoothly.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Interior Designer?
Interior Designers analyze movement and use patterns of the space. They prepare sketches or other visual aids to demonstrate preliminary designs, consult with their clients on materials they would like used in a project, then determine timelines for projects based on those estimates and costs involved before presenting it all together. They make sure the installation of materials, furniture, and other design elements are carried out to perfection.
What makes a good Interior Designer?
A Great Interior Designer has more than just an eye for design. They also have strong problem-solving and organizational skills and the ability to apply style to create aesthetically pleasing interiors that meet their client’s vision.
Who does an Interior Designer work with?
An Interior Designer works with clients to determine initial goals and requirements for the space that they'll be designing. They collaborate on Architects' drawings and engineers' designs and provide colors or furniture choices to create a comfortable environment where people can thrive.