This Interior Designer job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Interior Designer responsibilities include:
- Undertaking design project from concept to completion
- Defining project requirements and schedule during the “brief”
- Interpreting and translating customer needs into rough plans
We are looking for an artful Interior Designer to undertake a variety of space designing projects. You will deal with design from conceptual development and liaising with the stakeholders to managing and executing the design.
The goal is to design practical spaces but yet visually pleasing.
- Undertake design project from concept to completion
- Define project requirements and schedule during the “brief”
- Interpret and translate customer needs into rough plans
- Set costs and project fees according to budget
- Research and decide on materials and products sourcing
- Produce “sample” and “mood products”
- Supervise work progress
- Work closely with designers, decorators, architects and constructors
- Research and follow industry changes, evolutions and best practises
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience in decorating interior spaces (consultations, renovations, space planning and new constructions)
- Expertise in layout, colour, lighting, materials selection, custom furniture and all installations.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, SketchUp, 3D Max, Illustrator or other design programs
- Excellent portfolio of previous works
- Creative talent, imagination and eye for design
- Communication and presentation skills
- Project management skills
- BS degree in Interior Design or similar
Frequently asked questions
- What does an Interior Designer do?
- An Interior Designer creates practical and attractive spaces. They assess room needs, plan decor and furniture based on size and use, draft designs, and estimate costs. They also make sure to follow laws and rules for building plans and inspections.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of an Interior Designer?
- Interior Designers evaluate space usage, draft early designs using visual aids, and consult with clients about preferred materials. They establish project schedules considering cost estimates, and oversee the flawless installation of design elements, from materials to furniture.
- What makes a good Interior Designer?
- A Great Interior Designer has more than just an eye for design. They also have strong problem-solving and organizational skills and the ability to apply style to create aesthetically pleasing interiors that meet their client’s vision.
- Who does an Interior Designer work with?
- An Interior Designer collaborates with clients to identify design goals for spaces. They work alongside architects and engineers, contributing color schemes and furniture selections to create an environment conducive to comfort and productivity.