Firefighter job description
A Firefighter is a professional who provides prevention, rescue, and suppression services for fires. These individuals may help during and after accidents. They are heavily involved in situations like buildings that have collapsed. After managing fires, they ensure people are safe and out of harm's way, putting their lives at risk to save them in many situations.
Firefighter responsibilities include:
- Responding to fire alarms quickly to regulate and extinguishing forest or building fires
- Operating firefighting and rescuing equipment such as aerial ladders, axes, fire hoses etc.
- Providing emergency medical services with compliance to established standards
We are looking for an experienced Firefighter to work with a team of professionals that suppresses fires as well as attending to accidents and emergencies. The job is challenging yet extremely rewarding as saving lives and protecting property is of utmost importance for our community.
An excellent firefighter is a responsible and brave professional who is well-trained in dealing with emergencies and enduring difficult situations. Calmness and patience when dealing with adversities are the most important qualities. Good communication skills and a compassionate personality may also come in handy in the field.
- Respond to fire alarms quickly to regulate and extinguish forest or building fires
- Operate firefighting and rescuing equipment such as aerial ladders, axes, fire hoses etc.
- Provide emergency medical services with compliance to established standards
- Inspect scenes of fire or accidents to identify causes or discover significant findings
- Clean up fire scenes by removing debris and burned items
- Respond to other emergency situations and assist those in need
- Write accurate reports after incidents and submit them to superiors
- Clean and maintain personal equipment and keep it ready for use
- Participate in fire drills as a way to stay alert and up-to-date with job duties
- Assist in public educational programs to help prevent dangerous fire accidents
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as firefighter
- Working knowledge of firefighting equipment and apparatus
- Knowledge of first aid/CPR methods
- Willingness to follow legal rules and guidelines and firefighting standards at all times
- Great physical strength and stamina partnered with the ability to dress and move quickly
- Patient and cool tempered with the ability to function in a team
- Dedicated and compassionate
- A practical mind and problem-solving ability
- Successful passing of firefighting exams (written, physical, psychological etc.)
- High school diploma or higher; degree in fire science is a plus
- Certification as emergency medical technicians (EMT) is preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Firefighter do?
Firefighters are called to scenes where they handle urgently dangerous tasks, like putting out fires or rescuing individuals trapped inside buildings. They often ensure a building's safety during the building process, checking it for fire hazards on flammability or electrical levels.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Firefighter?
Firefighters are responsible for responding quickly to fire-related emergencies. They use their skills and knowledge to regulate fires or rescue victims, ensuring their safety. These professionals also provide medical services when necessary.
What makes a Good Firefighter?
Firefighters have to be in top physical condition. They spend hours on their feet, so they need patience and tolerance for tedious situations.
Who does a Firefighter works with?
Firefighters often collaborate with Police Officers, managing fires caused during potential crimes. Possible evidence recovered by Firefighters is usually presented to the police to put together a timeline of events and assemble a solid explanation for arson-related crimes.
Hiring Firefighter job description
Post this Firefighter job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.